China Doll (Radermachera Sinica) Root Pruning and Repotting

kashu(z6 NJ)July 24, 2009

Has anyone root pruned and repotted their Radermachera Sinica into Al's gritty mix? I know they're a bit fickle so I'm wondering how well they handle root work.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I have, I have! ;o)

No problem with their handling root work, but don't delay. It's getting late in the growth cycle. Late Jun-early Jul is best for you, but if your tree is healthy it'll be ok.

Here are some pictures of a harsh top reduction if you're interested. I really should get it outside & take additional pictures of it 2 months later. You'll be surprised at what it looks like after seemingly such harsh treatment.

Al

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 5:40PM
kashu(z6 NJ)

Al,

I came across that post while doing a search and was wondering what it looked like now, please post pictures soon.

My radermachera is 3 ft tall and bushy, in a 9" pot. I got it as a gift last week and I've been adjusting it to its new environment. The soil looks very compact and I can see roots on top of the soil as well as at the drainage holes.

I like the way the top growth looks and don't really want to prune the stems, I actually want it to become taller and treelike. But I want to cut away at least half the roots to encourage healthier growth. Do you think this would be ok?

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 6:27PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I think we should tweak your perspective just a little. Root pruning, along with full repots, actually helps to prevent the stress associated with tight roots and collapsed soils. It helps to prevent decline and allows the plant to grow at closer to its genetic potential. I would bare-root and only prune out the largest roots, not taking any more than 1/3 of the o/a root mass. Repotting into the gritty mix is a good idea. Open shade for at least 2 weeks after the repot is best.

Good luck.

Al

Bookmark   July 24, 2009 at 9:30PM
kashu(z6 NJ)

I did a full repot this weekend trying not to take off more than 1/3 of the roots as suggested. But the soil was so compact, I'm afraid I took off close to 1/2 the roots trying to hose off all the old soil. Most of the roots were pretty fine and delicate and broke off quite easily.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 4:25PM
tammypie(9)

kashu,

How did you fare with your China Doll and the root pruning? I'm thinking of doing this to my CD this spring.

TammyPie

Bookmark   January 6, 2012 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue
Avocado Plant Dying
I bought this grafted dwarf Wurtz avocado tree this...
nobbyv77
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™