Transplanting Asparagus (begining of September) NW Indiana

wildbill2374(5)September 3, 2012

I live in northwest Indiana and have gained access to an existing asparagus bed, but only for a very short time. The bed is 20 plus years old but hasn't been harvested in about 6 years. The currant owner is moving out very soon and gave me permission to take the asparagus if I wanted to but it has to be now. The plants are not dormant yet. What is the best way to transplant these into a new bed in my yard? Thanks for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Are you really sure you want to do all that work for 20 year old crowns? Especially when the survival rate will likely be less than 50%?

They are going to be so big and so rootbound that to give 1 crown even 1/2 a chance at survival it will need to be dug up with at least a 12" diameter rootball and 18"-24" would be better. In the process of getting 1 it will likely kill the surrounding ones.

Add to that that they aren't even dormant yet and it is still too warm so that may well cut survival rates even more. I have some 12 and 15 yr. old plants with crowns alone (not including roots) that are easily 12" in diameter and production is already beginning to decline on them.

Dave

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 8:05PM
glib(5.5)

Yes, one crown is 5 gallons easily, plus any dirt. It is a huge amount of work for very little. It is like transplanting a 2-yrs old apple tree. You can buy 1-yr old crowns for $0.12 each...

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 9:48PM
wolverine1012

I agree. What seems to be a prize is really a libility. You will spend a lot of effort on something of little value. Asparagus roots are not like a fine wine that gets better with age. I'd pass on this opportunity if it were me.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 3:16PM
More Discussions
weed or seedling
In the area of this seedling my daughter put radish...
sepulvd
More efficient planting
Found this in the Oklahoma Gardening forum... tube...
nugrdnnut
Long post but help please?
Okay, So. This year I started all my vegetables from...
jenandwya
pepper problems
Hey everyone! My pepper blossoms are falling off! I...
Ankjlkhu Bkjjghfy
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Sponsored Products
Children's Garden Tool Set
$14.99 | zulily
Gardman 4-Tier Mini Greenhouse - R687
$39.51 | Hayneedle
Eight-Piece Pink & White Garden Care Set
$34.99 | zulily
Gardman 5-Tier Mini Greenhouse - R700
$47.14 | Hayneedle
Blossom Garden Tote
$35.99 | zulily