Pruning and repotting Adrenium obesum 'Luang Siam'

teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)July 1, 2013

I have had this for a few months. It came bareroot and with spider mites. They only went away after I pruned all the branches short. It has grown nicely but I decided the soil is too moisture retentive especially with the rain and depotted it. I put it in cactus soil with 50 percent added perlite.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Hey Teen...nice-looking Adenium.

The semi 'new' Adenium Forum is great for Desert Rose questions. I've learned so much reading posts.

Most Aden growers treat Adeniums as tropicals during summer months...in late autumn through winter, Adeniums are cared for as succulents. Some people leave their Adems in shade, w/o water, allow total dormancy.
I tried the shade experiment last winter..never again. lol.

I see side roots but are there extra roots under the plant?
I can't make it out.

A good idea changing soil? Especially if it held water. It might not have mattered during summer, but you might have had problems once winter came, plus a chance of recurring mites.

Teen, I'm not telling you what to do, 'probably too late anyway,' but I'd have soaked the entire plant in soapy water. In case mites are hiding out.
I see your pretty Croton...Crotons are mite magnets..

Toni

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 1:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

I know about the adrenium forum but I know you guys and gals better, and therefore post most of my houseplants related treads here. I trimmed the bug infested stems off and the photo you see is the new growth that followed the trimming

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 3:01PM
More Discussions
Can anyone help identify this plant?
I was given this plant a while back from my mother-in-law...
Danielle
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
Pepperomia
i have been struggling with this ornery little persnickity...
suyoder
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™