Why is this happening

lescont(7)July 4, 2013

This plant was doing great growing tons of new leaves then all of a sudden about a week ago I noticed the leaves curling together. Does anybody have any ideas why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Are you watering sufficiently?

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 6:32PM
tropicbreezent

My thoughts as well. Sans will do that when they're too dry.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 6:01AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Lescont, the trick to watering a Sans or any other plant with low water requirement is to water (drench) very thoroughly after the plant has had plenty of time to dry out since the last watering. No little sips.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 11:22AM
lescont(7)

I have it outside and it is very hot (110) So I have been watching the watering closely. It was loving the hot dry temps until about a week ago. the only thing that has changed is we've begun the monsoon season and it has been quite a bit more humid. Could the humidity have caused this? And if so is there anything I can do? FYI I have a swamp cooler so even with the humidity outside the inside is much worse.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 12:11PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Thrip infestations commonly cause curling of sans foliage. Look the plant over carefully for small silverish or gray feeding scars, or areas that appear to be calloused or corky looking as evidence. Also, a scarcity of particular nutrients, or nutrients available in excess can cause curling of the leaves, as can incidental exposure to herbicides (as in spray drift) or other phytotoxins. The best bet is to make sure you have the basics well covered, and you're not asking the plant to grow at the limits of what it's programmed to tolerate. IOW - learn where the sweet spot is - provide it and your troubles will disappear. It's one of the least demanding plants out there.

Al

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 12:37PM
tropicbreezent

Humidity doesn't worry them, particularly in warm weather.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 2:35AM
More Discussions
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
Adenium seedlings
HI all, I haven't posted here in a couple years now......
ttkidd
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™