glass bird feeder

emilyannJanuary 25, 2010

I am trying to find the directions to make that bird feeder made out of glass, it has a plate on the bottom, some sort of glass jar, hope someone knows what I am talking about, hard to explain

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Could you post a link or give us an idea of where you've seen it? Was it on this forum or somewhere else?

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 8:56AM
nonacook(8bFL)

It was this forum--
I remember that it had a divided plate on the bottom.
I don't remember who posted it, tho' so I
am not much help

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 9:35AM
emilyann

yes it was on here, but that is all I remember, sorry

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 9:51AM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Was it something like these? Or no?

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 9:58AM
emilyann

yes yes, those are it!!! Thank you, but is there anywhere to find the directions for making tham???
Thank you!!!!

Bookmark   January 26, 2010 at 11:41AM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Since I made them I can tell you but I have to be at work early this a.m. so I'll have to do it in a day or so. They aren't difficult to make. It's mostly a matter of finding the right pieces and drilling the holes.
As Arnold said,"I'll be baaack".

Bookmark   January 27, 2010 at 9:24AM
clc70(8 Wa.)

I just stumbled across this post and am very interested in how you did these great bird feeders. How do they comme apart to put the seed in? How about a pictural tutorial? I'm crazy wiith curiosity! They're wonderful.

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 1:06PM
imjustsam(6)

This is the version I made a couple years ago. It was pretty easy. I used a divided relish tray for the bottom and drilled a hole in the middle of it. the second layer was a glass lampshade(open at both ends, no drilling) and then I had a glass globe at the top which had the top hole already in it. I strung them together with a rod from the hardware store(less than $1)and then you can get caps or nuts to fit on each end. This way you can easily unscrew or loosen an end to add the birdseed. Easy Schmeasy

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 3:44PM
garden2garden(z8 FL)

"Easy Shmeasy", you made me, lol, sam. That's really pretty and your directions were perfect. My question is~ what is the cool plant behind it on the fence?

Bookmark   January 31, 2010 at 4:45PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

The bird feeder is great! I'm tempted to make one although I tend to avoid attracting birds because I have cats.
The plant looks like lambs ear, stachys somthing. Well what a world with google at my fingertips. Stachys lanata. One of my faves, but rots if it gets too wet. Heres a link with an english gardeners recommendation. They call it lambs tongue. the silvery plump hairy leaves are very cool. And the flower spikes are nice too.
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Stachys lanata

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 8:35AM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Small hanging feeder: The large glass piece is a lamp part, the tray is a small relish tray and the glass topper is a glass drawer pull.

Large ground feeder: From the base up, an inverted candy dish, a large divided plate, I glued glass marbles around the inside of the plate to support the inverted votive holder used as a seed diverter, the seed holder piece is the inverted top portion of an hurricane lamp. The top piece is the base from a glass table lamp and the topper is again a glass drawer pull. As you can tell from the photos, the lamp base flips over to become a seed funnel for filling the feeder. The rod up through the center of the feeder is threaded rod purchased at a big box DIY. They don't show in the photos but there is a lock nut at the base of the rod inside the candy dish,a wing nut on top of the seed diverter inside the feeder and a wing nut on the topper.

I don't have a blown apart photo of the other feeder but I used the same method to make it.
Ummmm what else........Oh yes, I use a diamond drill bit to drill the glass. It's the type that actually cuts out a plug. I've used the other kind, the ones with a point, but I have better luck with the "plug cutter" type.
If you have any questions, please ask.
Have a great day!

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 10:24AM
emilyann

Thank you very much!!!

Bookmark   February 1, 2010 at 5:37PM
sorie6(6b ok.)

Wow that is really pretty. Very clever!! Thanks for the tutorial. Great job.

Bookmark   February 5, 2010 at 9:35PM
clc70(8 Wa.)

Thanks so much. They are beutiful.

Bookmark   February 14, 2010 at 12:19PM
clc70(8 Wa.)

nmgirl, where did you purchase your diamond bit that cuts out a plug? I have diamond bits but have never seen one that cuts out plugs. Your tutorial was great.

Bookmark   February 14, 2010 at 1:02PM
adina72(z5 CNY)

nmgirl inspired me to make my own as well, but I made mine to be free-standing with no drilling. There are a couple of pictures on my webpage.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass Bird Feeders

Bookmark   February 20, 2010 at 8:35PM
More Discussions
Re purposing A Window
Hi, I just got all new windows for my house, and don't...
gabby811 6 NJ
Acrylic vs. outdoor acrylic
Evening all, I am the school gardening mom for my son's...
uptomyeyeballs
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
bowling ball revisited
Just finished a couple of bowling balls for the garden;...
indigosunshine
Sponsored Products
Artology Sakura Decorative Pillow
Overstock.com
Augusta Bird Cage
Grandin Road
Avian Bungalow Hanging Bird House - Mahogany
Signature Hardware
Bird & Branch Table Lamp
$224.90 | Horchow
Elevated Baroque Pet Feeder by Unleashed Life
$49.50 | FRONTGATE