Old barnwood projects

jeannespinesJanuary 16, 2013

While on a walk the other day (a bit snowy but not bad) ...checking out the 'goodies' in the lean-to for Winter projects ...

this is what the old barnwood looks like ....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeannespines

...and today some of that old barnwood looks like this!

One painted Barn Red & one stained Walnut ...

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 11:12PM
jeannespines

...and one painted Barn & Fence White ....

DH built them & I painted in the shop today since it was in the 30's outside. This one will have a little antiquing added yet ...but they 'weather' so good & in a couple yrs they will age some! ;-) One of these is headed to a community garden, 'Heritage Park,' in our small town nearby. Happy Winter Days, GJer's! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   January 16, 2013 at 11:16PM
Shades_of_idaho(4/5)

OH they are WONDERFUL!!! Love the style you are doing.

I would love to be out in the yard but the high of the day was 13 today and is below zero now. Seems the only outside work I get done is caring for the feral cat clan we have here.

What a fantastic stash of barn wood you have.

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 2:39AM
marylee_2010

Jeanne, I love your birdhouses. A couple of years ago, I bought a book on birdhouse design and pattern. I was going to make and paint them, but sadly I never did get started. Maybe seeing your projects will give me the kick in the pants that I need to get started on some projects of my own. Thank you for sharing.

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 9:43AM
oldgraymare(4 WI)

I love them!

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 12:30PM
nonacook(8bFL)

Awesome-and a lot accomplished in a short time.
Keep up the good work!

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 12:37PM
indigosunshine

Nice stash! Love your birdhouses! I love old barnwood but it is getting harder and harder to get it.

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 6:19PM
Marlene Kindred

Wow Jeanne....my DH would LOVE to have all of that barn wood. Love your birdhouses....very cool!

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 7:13PM
nanatricia

Love love love them!!!!!

Bookmark   January 17, 2013 at 8:45PM
sorie6(6b ok.)

Those are great!! How tall are they? Will house several birdie families!!

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 8:12AM
PKponder TX(7b)

Adorable! I have a soft spot for bird houses :-) What are the roofs made from? Is it routered barn planks?

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 8:46AM
oldcrafty(8)

Wow! Those are great and my how fast you 2 work! Love old barn wood and all the cool projects that can be recycled

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 1:58PM
oldcrafty(8)

Wow! Those are great and my how fast you 2 work! Love old barn wood and all the cool projects that can be recycled

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 1:59PM
sunnyca_gw

Birds in your area will be happy! Whole community can move into each one. Glad it was warm enough to work out. Might keep some birds warm when things get really cold, the thick boards will keep the heat in! TFS Jan

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 4:16PM
jeannespines

DH puts 'floor boards' in-between the holes ...so, yes, more than 1 bird can house there....we've had our condo birdhouse up at least 20 yrs now & it's still going ... sometimes the nails have popped out a bit ... but we still get Wrens to nest there!

They are pretty tall...the tallest panel is 26" + thickness of the floor board & the the added roof boards ...so probably 28" or so. The roof pcs are barn boards from doors & such.

Yes, old barnwood is getting harder to find...we can no longer 'tear them down' ourselves so sometimes we buy some of our wood & lots of it comes from people telling other people that we are lookin for it.

Thanks, GJ'ers! Appreciate your comments! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   January 18, 2013 at 9:00PM
jeannespines

Here's a couple of small log birdhouses that DH & I finished up today ... these I gave a coat of Polyurthelene (sp?) ...and it was nice enough to sit them OUTSIDE today for a pic ... the deep freeze comes back tonight but 40's today!

the roof on the right is made from recycled green outdoor wood shutters & the fancy door 'pin' of a hinge is the post...the other one is all barnwood cut by DH & we added a small pc of driftwood...the wrens love these houses!

TFLookin'! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   January 19, 2013 at 4:50PM
sandyl(Zone 6B -7)

Beautiful: Question do y'all use a air gun nailer to assembly them or hammer and nails? I'm working on collecting me a stash of old barn wood and trim for when I retire and making bird houses and such from the old wood is my plans.

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 2:53PM
jeannespines

My hubby uses the air gun nailer alot ... but we also use 'screws' to attach the bottoms ...that way if someone really wants to take them apart for clean-out, they can. We don't ever take the birdhouses apart here on our acreage...the birds usually take care of the 'emptying.' Have fun, sandyl! Jeanne S.

Here's a couple more that I added good 'junkola' to give them a special old look! An old horses' bit & also some old hinges, latches & such.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 6:40PM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

WOW! You two are amazing and talented people, such imagination! I just love seeing your bird house masterpieces!!!

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 9:43PM
jlily(Z6)

Lucky birds! They will have some lovely homes to go to. Thank you for sharing your lovely projects.

Jlily.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Chain link fence arbor how-to ideas?
I have a new chain link fence running from my house...
servelan
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
Acrylic vs. outdoor acrylic
Evening all, I am the school gardening mom for my son's...
uptomyeyeballs
Did this work?
This is our wedding car from "78. It was used...
nancyjane_gardener
Sponsored Products
Duffy Barstool - BROWN
$1,690.00 | Horchow
Blue Isabelle Duvet
$39.99 | zulily
Owl Collection Double Old Fashioned Glasses (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
AHB King Chair - 100610SD-S.1
$499.95 | Hayneedle
Robert Abbey Bling 42 3/4" Wide Nickel Oval Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Divi Bronze LED Spotlight with Gold Foil Glass
$337.50 | Bellacor
Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light 11 in. Wall Lantern Piper Lantern with Clear Seed Glas
$32.69 | Home Depot
Foscarini | Gregg Alta Floor Lamp
YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™