Sunburn or Disease?

rachels_haven(6)July 8, 2013

So I started some heartleaf philodendron cuttings a few weeks ago and they all rooted, despite being planted in water "upside-down". My question today is unrelated to cutting orientation because apparently for this plant, it decided it didn't matter. Initially a few leaves started dying off-maybe stress or perhaps due to the fact that when the plant had been removed from the store wall by the original owner it had been allowed to go bone dry then left on the front lawn under high noon sun sporting it's free sign. Well, the leaves kept dying one by one whether or not the cuttings had rooted and were actively putting out tiny, new leaves. Then I noticed that there were occasional red spots on the dying leaves. Now it looks like the new leaves have the red spots and are dying, and since those are brand new growth, I'm starting to suspect disease-or sunburn, since I do have them in a bright window-and because I already have a happy, healthy, heartleaf philodendron I don't want to fall ill, I'm considering committing philo-cide and tossing out all these cuttings, new buds and all.
So my question is, in your opinions, does it look like sunburn, or disease?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rachels_haven(6)

This leaf just looks weird.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 6:09PM
rachels_haven(6)

More spots.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 6:13PM
rachels_haven(6)

More advanced stage.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 6:15PM
rachels_haven(6)

More.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 6:17PM
rachels_haven(6)

Yellow spots spreading.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 6:19PM
rachels_haven(6)

What it's supposed to look like.

Bookmark   July 8, 2013 at 6:21PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

it seems to be of little concern if it is out of direct light. Philos naturally lose leaves occasionally. Im shure you are taking care of them properly

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 11:20AM
birdsnblooms

Hi Rachel,

Are the spots red or brown?

So, the previous owner kept an indirect-light Philo outside, in direct sun? Did they bother watering? How awful is that? !!

Sunburn leaves I've seen turn red, but after Googling sunburned foliage, there are photos with spots similiar to yours.
One site states, sunburned leaves with spots usually have a yellow ring around the burnt area.

Too much sun and water can cause leaf spot.

Now that your Philo rooted, why not pot in soil?
Water, then place in semi-shade about a week, then up to bright-indirect light after your Philo is established.

One site said removing burnt leaves isn't necessary, but I disagree..Although I would keep a couple spotted leaves to see if it spreads..IF spots spread, the problem isn't sunburn.

BTW, isolate from other plants, in case it's diseased.

I checked my Philos after reading your thread. Philos in lower light don't have brown spots, but one Philo, in the upstairs bathroom that gets direct west exposure have similiar spots..It is sunburn. Summer west, on a second floor, unobstructed window is too harsh for Philos.
Thicker leaf types endure brighter light, but your Philo has thin leaves which, in full sun, will burn and spot.

Obviously, previous owners wanted to rid Philos, so they placed any-old-where. They probably assumed, if it died, so be it. Free plant!!!

Good luck, Toni

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 11:56AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

The 1st and 5th look like they are sunburned. The spots are not something I've seen on this kind of plant before.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 4:37PM
rachels_haven(6)

Okay, today is potting day for some african violet cuttings anyway, so I will pot this and isolate at the same time.
Let's see what happens! (the usual decision with house plants :)
-R

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 5:42PM
rachels_haven(6)

Well, it looks like the philodendron is going to be healthy. It's showing lots of encouraging, blemish-less new growth. I'm still watching for irregularities as usual, but I think we're out of the woods for now and I'm taking it back with me when I move on Saturday.

Thanks all,
Rachel

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 7:09PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Nice! Bottom right corner, nice new tip about to unfold. Hope your move goes smoothly!

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 7:28AM
More Discussions
Schefflera and corn plant sharing a pot?
Anyone tried planting schefflera and Dracaena Fragrans...
Peter
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Need help reviving Fiddle Leaf!
Hi, I am a first time houseplant owner and recently...
Lacey Scripture
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™