boosting my aloe vera

vaherbmomJuly 6, 2013

My aloe veras don't grow well--they stay tiny. What am I doing wrong? My other houseplants seem ok.

thanks so much

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KatherynIridaceae

how big of a pot are they in, what mix are they planted in, how much light and water do they get and what (if anything) have you fed them?

This is how I'm growing mine, maybe that'll be helpful.

My aloe is in a relatively small pot at 7.5 inches across and five inches deep. It's in plain old miraclegro. My house is usually a tad on the cold side and there is very low humidity, though every now and then it spends two or three days in my bathroom which gets very, very steamy. It's in bright indirect light, a southern exposure. I hardly ever fertilize it, maybe every three months, but when i do i use a liquid feed called growbest. i think it's an 8-8-8, and it has a decent amount of micronutrients. in between fertilizing I give it a bit of epsom salt in water (perhaps once a month or less) to green it up. I got it when it was about three inches tall and I've had it less than a year. it's about eight inches tall now and has had two babies.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 8:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vaherbmom

thanks

I've had it in this small pot for years. I used to have really robust ones, a long time ago. I neglected them and then this is all I have left. I did used to keep them in my bathroom.

I will try to follow your method--will change the soil tomorrow. It is in a south facing window on a stand. I rarely feed it but will do so now and try the Epsom salt too.

Thanks so much!

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Hanging Plant Identify & Care
In looking thru My Pictures Library, I found this good...
bobv2
Help!! Plant almost died while i was on vacation
Could my plant be exposed to too much sunlight? Should...
raphael1983
Low-e Windows Effect on Plants
We have lots of house plants. We wish to install energy...
peter_poet
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™