My leggy, young prayer plant....

EmmerEffJuly 31, 2014

My poor little Prayer Plant. I've had him for about a year or so and he was young, sprightly and not tall at all.

He was great until about a month ago. He's always been left 'free' on top of a wardrobe to fall freely and that received ok light. I moved him around to see if he liked other spots but that was his most comfortable.

Now he's massively leggy and spindly and has had no new shoots since being bought but continues to give new leaves. He has a lot of bends in his stems.

My favourite plant, is he ok?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
EmmerEff

I don't know how to post multiple pictures in one post sorry....

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:41PM
EmmerEff

The spindle, the foliage will follow after.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:44PM
EmmerEff

foliage - two of the stalks have this foliage, with leaves growing all of the time. I have tried to tame them to grow kind of upright as I'm scared of them snapping, and also the stems are twisted when let loose meaning the leaves are facing upside down and different ways.

Sorry if this is normal, I'm a Prayer plant virgin!

This post was edited by EmmerEff on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 18:48

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:45PM
Photo Synthesis

Marantas don't grow upright, as far as I know. Mine grows in a hanging pot so that the foliage can hang over. Yours may need brighter indirect light. I grow mine outdoors hanging from a tree. It gets some early morning sunlight, but is shaded for the rest of the day, receiving some very bright (but indirect) sunlight. When plants don't receive sufficient light, they can't support having a lot of leaves. I just spray mine with the garden hose every other day. (It dries out pretty fast in this Arkansas Summer heat.) Mine has been blooming now for two months. At first, I almost didn't even notice the blooms, because they're so tiny. But now it's covered in them. The individual flowers don't last very long, but more spring up to replace them.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 10:25PM
EmmerEff

That is a lovely plant!

I'm just concerned about the lack of growth near the base and wonder if it would start more foliage near the base on the existing stems. While I understand they aren't meant to be upright as such, it seems to be more trailing than hanging. Would tying them at the base help?

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 3:39AM
jane__ny(9-10)

More light and repot the plant.

Jane

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 12:27AM
EmmerEff

Repot into smaller or bigger? It does not have a massive root ball as I checked for rot about a month ago.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 1:52PM
EmmerEff

Repot into smaller or bigger? It does not have a massive root ball as I checked for rot about a month ago.

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 2:44PM
cooljjay(Page, AZ)

I would pot it up to say a 6in pot and put it in a really sunny window, allowing it to dry between watering....you will then see new growth, and then can cut out the big leggy guys to get a more bushy plant.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 9:52PM
More Discussions
Hanging Plant Identify & Care
In looking thru My Pictures Library, I found this good...
bobv2
Dracaenas Identify & Care
Here are two plants that I know are Dracaenas but I...
bobv2
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
My Spider Plant Again......
Out of all my plants this one just seems to get everything....
MrBlubs
Will the aphids come back on my overwintered potted strawberry plants?
I had a severe aphid infestation on my potted strawberry...
malsprower
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™