HELP for my Dieffenbachia plant

calspootabicJuly 31, 2012

I need help for my Dieffenbachia plant. It was a 7 or 8 foot plant when I had to move and it tipped and broke. I put it in water and ended up with 4 small plants in water. 2 (still in water) are doing great and about 3 feet hight. Occaisionally though a leaf dies and I have to pull it off or the water gets to murky and I have to pull the plants out and untangle their roots and put them back in clean water.

2 smaller one's - the stalk broke so I put one in water and it is doing fine but the other I planted outside and one leaf died so I broke off the part of the stock that was dying and put the other back in water.

How do I plant them or should I just leave them in water?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Wow that was huge! Where was your plant before it broke? (inside/outside.) When you tried putting one outside, the leaf that died may have just gotten sunburned after being inside for so long (an assumption.) Diefs are pretty wimpy about direct sun, if any, it should gradually eased into it, starting with just going outside in bright shade for a while, then to a little sun if you want, early AM or late PM. Sunburn can't heal though, (and doesn't usually hit the "would have cut it off soon anyway" leaves,) so keep that in mind.

Whether or not to change from water to soil depends on what you want. If there are a lot of roots, I would trim about half of them off before changing from water to soil. Pics would help a lot with more specific advice.

Did anything grow from the original broken stems/trunks?

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 11:21AM
More Discussions
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™