Lima Beans

rgressSeptember 3, 2010

I planted Lima Beans this year and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I planted them kind of late (Early June) but they came up nicely. The problem is even though they have lots of blooms I am not getting any bean pods forming. As far as I can tell not a single one.

I have 2 hills of about 6 plants each with a tomato catch for them to climb. The hills are about 5 feet apart.

Thanks

Randy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organicdan(z5b Nova Scotia)

They will come Randy. I have 30 plants of Henderson Bush Lima with 69 day maturity. Lots of blossoms that are only now producing beans. They are self-pollinating so the blossoms were a positive sign. With Earl about to drop some nice rain, and hopefully low winds, I shall have a harvest in 2-3 weeks.

At least my rain barrels will be refilled for any further drought.

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 8:41PM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

My May planted limas produced a first crop earlier. They have been blooming and they are forming a second flush in the top.

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 2:24PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

Like Dan's, the pole limas I planted in June are starting to bear. They just take a while, but once they start to flower, the bean pods follow pretty quickly.

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 7:59PM
rgress

So Saturday morning when I went to the garden what did I find but bean pods on the vine. I guess I should have posted the message a couple of weeks earlier to get them to set.

As you can probably guess I have never grown lima beans before. So my next question is: When do I harvest them? How do I tell the are ready to be picked?

Thanks
Randy

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 4:04PM
veeta

I squeeze them between my fingers, and pull the ones that feel "fat" enough. You may have to try a couple times to get it right, then you can do it by feel. I try to pick them when still tender and green, but the larger whiter ones are good too. If I let some dry out, I save the seed for next year.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 4:42PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

The pods should be 4-6" long, if I remember right, and "chubby" as veeta says. It's like harvesting peas. You can probably find some fresh limas for comparison at the farmers' market.

Bookmark   September 7, 2010 at 11:00PM
wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana

For green limas I don't like them to get large and starchy. Also whitish ones seem always very starchy.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 11:47AM
forpityssake

My Lima's are doing GREAT! ( planted 4 year old seeds, just for kicks to see how long they stay "fertile". 47 out of 50 seeds sprouted & are flourishing.)

I can pick 'em with my eyes shut. :) I feel the pod & if it is "hairy" & has a "certain sound", I know it's ripe & ready to pick. (It takes practice to know which ones are as ripe as they're gonna get, but not OVERLY ripe.) All the pods have a certain feel to them. You can learn from them. In fact, you can even turn them toward the sun & see the beans inside.

I leave some of the pods to turn brown for seeds for next year. I keep the seeds for next year, laid out on a paper plate, in the house, for a couple of weeks to make sure they're dried & then I put them in a small paper sack...fold it over & put them in a cupboard.

Bookmark   September 8, 2010 at 6:41PM
marricgardens

Well you just answered my question! Now I know what to do with the lima bean pods that are older and dried. I didn't realize that they came in pole and bush. All I can find here are Fordhook and they're 2' bushes. One question tho. This is my first year growing them so I don't know what to expect from them. They have flowered well and then formed pods, now they are flowering again and forming new pods. Is that normal? I don't know how much longer we will have nice weather. If it gets really cold, I guess I could pick them and dry them for use in soups etc.? Thanks. Marg

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 12:15PM
forpityssake

They'll keep flowering until they get get frost bitten. It doesn't take much frost to do 'em in.

Yep, you can dry 'em & use 'em in whatever ya want. Heaven forbid...don't waste a LIMA bean. :)

I freeze most of mine, while they're still green. No, I don't blanch them, either. I lay them on a cookie sheet until they're frozen, then I put 'em in a freezer bag.

Have fun! :)

btw...I ordered my Lima poles from Henry Fields. From then on, I've always saved my own seeds and used them.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 10:57PM
tracyfox(5b)

I planted the Christmas limas and a few are filling out, but most of the pods still seem very flat. This weekend temps are supposed to get down into the 30s. Can I pick limas after a frost or will the frost do enough damage that the limas will suffer in taste or texture?

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 9:01PM
forpityssake

We're to get to 33 degrees over the weekend.

I picked beans today & will, tomorrow, but...if it's a hard frost...ya might as well hang it up. The frost won't hurt, but it'll stop the growth for the most part.

You'll get lotsa baby lima's that way.

A double cover over them just may help, if you have one.

Bookmark   September 30, 2010 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™