Miricle Gro for plants

saturn1956(6)July 26, 2013

Can I safely use miracle gro for all my house plants. I have a variety like peace plants, ferns, agave and dracaena plants

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

MG fertilizers are safe and extremely effective when used properly, and with due consideration. If not used correctly and with a little aforethought, they can create a lot of problems; but that can be said of any soluble product used as a vehicle for nutritional supplementation. Most negative issues that arise usually stem from a lack of understanding the plant's needs and how to most effectively and safely use fertilizers.

The margin for grower error and the 'forgiveness factor' increases in a direct relation with soil porosity (as it increases). Conversely, as soil porosity and drainage decreases, it's accompanied by a decrease in how far the grower is allowed to drift from optimum practices w/o Mother Nature exacting a penalty to be paid by your plant(s) in the form of lost potential or other easily discernible symptoms.

Synthetic soluble fertilizers like MG, Foliage-Pro, and similar, are the easiest forms of fertilizer to use and get favorable results from, and offer the easiest way for the grower to establish and maintain control over a nutritional supplementation program.

That said, Miracle-Gro makes a lot of different NPK % formulations, and all are not created equal. For 99% of the plants you would be likely to grow, their 24-8-16 and 12-4-8 NPK formulations are the best choice. (Both are 3:1:2 ratio fertilizers, which come closest to mimicking the ratio at which plants actually use the nutrients. I prefer Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 (also a 3:1:2 ratio) for almost everything I grow. It is superior to the Miracle-Gro products in several ways, but the 2 most important considerations for houseplant growers comes from the fact that the 9-3-6 supplies N w/o relying on urea, which helps keep plants compact under low light conditions; and the 9-3-6 also contains Ca and Mg in soluble form, nutrients not found (but critical for normal growth) in the MG soluble fertilizers.

Al

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 8:59PM
sradleye

I think the only real question is how many of al's posts can you read before making the switch to the foliage pro? for me it was about two but then I didn't need much of a reason to give money to anything other than the mg monopoly.

working on the soil mixes too but a little more difficult to acquire and frankly the answers to my questions are painful. lol

thanks for all the info you have put on this site al

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 9:39PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Miracle-gro will be fine.
Safe, too.
The key to success is to read and follow the directions!

This post was edited by jean001a on Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 23:05

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 11:04PM
More Discussions
Looking for the 'old' members
I see that Tisha still posts, yay! Hi! :-) I'm in touch...
hobby_libby
Please help? Need to Id these plants
i received these plants in a funeral arrangement and...
sparga83
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
House Plants
Dracaenta Marginata
davers71
Who am I?
I was at WM and this fellow was on clearance and jumped...
savannaicus
Sponsored Products
Seafoam GroVert Vertical Planter Frame Kit
$79.99 | zulily
Walnut GroVert Vertical Planter Frame Kit
$79.99 | zulily
Oak GroVert Wall Planter
$79.99 | zulily
Raw GroVert Wall Planter
$79.99 | zulily
Black GroVert Vertical Planter Frame Kit
$79.99 | zulily