Fiddle Leaf Fig Ficus Fungus or Root Rot signs???

pimpette95July 9, 2013

Help! I got this 14" pot tree from a nursery and have been really excited with my first indoor tree. I got it 3 weeks ago and the soil looked really dry. So I watered it once it got home with a whole pitcher of water. The saucer that it came with was a little snug for the ceramic outer decorative potter. Except I used it anyway so that water would not spill onto the carpet. However in hindsight, I think that I may have created an airtight environment for fungus or mold or root rot? I feel really bad about this.

Now, it has these black edges on about half of the leaves. It's in a 14 pot and I'm not sure if it's from overwatering or from when I wiped down the leaves with a cloth when it first came home. I really want to save this as it's a gorgeous 5' beauty.

I recently moved it to the patio so it can get more indirect sunshine and plus it's summer here.

Please help! Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
a1pha_fema1e(4)

Did you leave the saucer full or did you empty it as it drained?

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 10:04PM
pimpette95

It was too heavy inside the outer ceramic potter that I was unable to lift it and see. Though, I believe the watering may have soaked it but not enough for it to drain out. Could it have been the small saucer that cupped it for no air flow?

I have since removed it from the ceramic potter and took off the saucer. It's now just sitting on the patio in its original plastic pot that it came in. Here's another photo of it.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 11:20PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Looks like root-death to me.
Low quality potting mix that holds too much moisture, I'd wager.

Josh

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 12:34AM
pimpette95

Hi,

Thank you both for responding. It could have been the potting mix from the place where I got it. At least, I know better thank you.

Maybe next time if I get one of these, then re-pot it immediately and provide an adequate air flow or saucer.

Thanks again,
Linda

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 12:38AM
pimpette95

Do you think there's any way to save him? And if so, can anyone help explain? I'm new to gardening and but I'm willing to try anything to help salvage or save it :) It's only 3 weeks home from the store.

Here's another photo if that helps.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 2:48PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

I'd re-pot it and then put it in some bright shade to recover. After two weeks, I'd resume fertilization.

Josh

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 4:39PM
pimpette95

Thank you for the advice. Do you recommend a specific type of soil? I thought they were all the same except that I don't want to make the mistake again by using the nursery soil. Should I chop off the roots if they look bad?

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 5:06PM
fivebrowncats

Hi

We just bought some fig fiddles and have some brown spots on our leaves too. Some of the leaves have fallen off- minimal brown spots mostly from the bottom of the plant.

We repotted and moved it to a sunnier spot in thr room, and so far so good.

Some say browning at the top: not enough water. Browning/ yellowing at the bottom: too much water. Although I think it may be a combination of water and sun...

How is your doing now?

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 3:20AM
More Discussions
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™