Shoot! Just one more, I promise :)

moonie_57July 9, 2011

If you can see the shrimp plant behind the duranta, you'll notice it's basically a Y shape and very spindley. I have been contemplating cutting it back. Although Im' not all that fond of this messy plant, it took a long time to get a bitty cutting to finally flower. should i cut it back? if so, should I root the cuttings right in the same pot in an attempt to make it fuller? What do y'all think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Hey Moonie..Very nice Shrimp blooms. Because of all the stems, it's hard telling which is the Shrimp leaves..lol. But the flowers are very pretty.

One thing I learned about Shrimp plants..they need to be pinched periodically to keep compact. Pinch first two leaves when not flowering.

You can either cut back and root cuttings. Another option is looking on Ebay for small trellises. They're inexpensive.

As a matter of fact, you can make your own. I bought a dozen; after seeing how they were made, felt ripped off.

They used a piece of plastic, shaped in a 'U' Imagine the U upsidedown. A wire hanger would work. Same thing, only painted green.

Or you can purchase actuall trellises for house plants. They too come in different sizes.

If you decide to root, take several cuttings..plant some with mom, in soil, and others in water.
Within a two-week period, the cuttings should start rooting. 'in water, don't know how long it takes in soil.'

What is the plant to the right of your Shrimp Plant? With pink-purple flowers..Toni

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 3:04PM
moonie_57

Toni - I cut back the shrimp plant several days ago. Just couldn't stand the way it looked anymore. It has been extremely hot this week. The potted cuttings are not looking very good but we'll see in a few days if they're going to make it. I wish I had brought them in the house instead of leaving them in the GH but, hindsight and all. LOL

The plant to the right is a combo pot. There are pink impatiens as well as pink begonias in it.

Bookmark   July 14, 2011 at 11:29PM
birdsnblooms

Moonie, it's a beautiful combo.

What about using a thin stake?? 'If you want your Shrimp to grow tall."

Yep, Shrimps and heat don't mix. They prefer cooler temps. Does it cool off at night?

Would you happen to recall the temps when it started budding? Toni

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 2:46PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Interesting, I know Shrimp Plants from tropical Rio de Janeiro where it can get quite hot. Easily high 90s, low 100s, as I recall from childhood, I just don't recall what time of year these bloomed. My surrogate Grandfather grew these, so I always feel fond, warm memories of him when I see these plants.

Nice plants & pix, thanks for the memory.

Bookmark   July 15, 2011 at 4:36PM
birdsnblooms

Karen...when we visit the conservatory, Shrimps usually are in bloom late summer into autumn.

When plants are grown outdoors in hot, humid climates, they adapt..'like weeds do in our part of the world.'

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 4:36PM
More Discussions
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Pilea Moonvalley - ID & Care
Just bought this plant. I'd appreciate ID confirmation...
bobv2
Pruning Ficus Lyrata (fiddle leaf fig)
Hi everyone! I have a 5 foot tall healthy, indoor ficus...
erich60660
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™