Kalanchoe with brown curled leaf tips

Bumblebeez SC Zone 7July 15, 2009

A basic grocery store bright pink Kalanchoe has done well since April. After it's first bloom I cut the plants (3 in a pot) back fairly hard, gave it some miracle grow and it bloomed again just as nicely.

However, all the big leaves have gotten brown edges, then curl and I pull them off.

What is causing this?

It is indoors and gets lots of sun. Enough sun to grow geraniums, amaryllis, etc.

Thank you for your time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
birdsnblooms

Bumblebee, what exactly is pink Kalanchoe? Do you have a picture?
Are the leaves pink? Sounds like a very plant.

How many times have you fertilized? and did you follow directions/dossage? Toni

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 8:16PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Thanks for replying Toni. It's just a basic grocery store type of Kalanchoe - the only kind I know- and the flowers are hot pink.
I fertilized it once with liquid MG (1 tab/gallon) and it rebloomed great. But the outer leaves are curly and brown- although I have removed all brown leaves.

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 8:32PM
birdsnblooms

I guess you're talking about K. blossfeldiana?? Perhaps you can Google that name and see if it's the same plant?

It's amazing you got your Kal to bloom a second time so soon after the first. Normally, after they flower, then in order for this type of Kal to rebloom is by either giving it shorter days for six weeks or a few weeks of cold, and withholding water.
I've never cut mine back, it'd be a great experiment.

The only thing about the type that confuses me is you said its leaves are large. What do you consider large?

If a leaf breaks just set it on soil and it'll root. Same with a stem. Well, if it's a stem, you're better off inserting the entire stem in soil.
Are brown edges crispy or soft? Toni

Bookmark   July 16, 2009 at 8:49PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

The brown edges are crispy. The plants have new leaves that are small and older leaves that are large. I have also read that it is hard to get it to rebloom but it rebloomed great so I thought I would put some effort into keeping it!
Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   July 17, 2009 at 9:12AM
birdsnblooms

Bumblebee, if the leaves are crispy, your Kal might need more water. As long as soil doesn't stay wet at all times.
It's possible nutrients are focusing on flowers instead of leaves which might be the reason they're smaller.
Or give them time to grow..
I'm not telling you how to grow your Kal, but after blooms fade, perhaps it's best to allow the Kal to rest. I wouldnt force bloom so soon. Toni

Bookmark   July 18, 2009 at 6:38PM
Oklahoma_Tim(z7a OK)

I just wanted to pop in and say that you are only supposed to use one teaspoon of MG per gallon of water for houseplants. If you used one tablespoon of MG per gallon, your problem may be partly caused by fertilizer burn. Then again, I have a K. blossfeldiana that hardly ever gets fed, and it gets the occasional brown leaf--probably because I need to water it more often. They do like to go mostly dry between waterings, but they shouldn't be allowed to dry out completely. At least, not very often.

Taking them out of the hot evening sun may also be a good idea, since they prefer some shade during the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 30, 2009 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Money tree problems
Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Money Tree. It...
jl108
Fiddle Leaf Ficus brown edges, lighter color veins
I have the Fiddle Leaf Ficus for 2 years now. It was...
vlauz7b
Question on pot-up house Azaleas
I have no problem growing florist Azalea as a houseplant....
jujujojo_gw
I believe this is a corn plant... it's blooming and very frangrant!
I recently acquired this house plant from someone that...
kinziestarr
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™