soda can birds

mommyandme2February 24, 2012

I made these birds over the course of the winter. As usual, I had a great deal of trouble with super gluing the pieces together, so they are a bit messy, but hanging up in my "tree", they look great & the messy spots can't be seen.

- Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chelcass(Z5 Michigan, U.P.)

Great idea! I like those very much. Blowing in the breeze they just may keep unwanted birds out of the garden., Thanks for the Idea.

Chelcass

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 10:54AM
marylee_2010

Laura, Very nice. I bet they add a bit of color to the tree. I have never worked with pop cans but I was wondering about something. To get away from the gluing, would it work to cut a slit in the body of the bird and slip a set of wings into it. Maybe wrap fishing line around the bird and wings? This would make it two dimensional. Like I said, I have never worked with pop cans so this might not work.

I am saving pop cans right now to make some of the flowers I have seen on here. Maybe I will try a bird or two. Thank you for sharing this idea with us.

Marylee

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 11:50AM
mommyandme2

I was afraid that if I made wings that stick out, they might fly away. As it is, even flat, a few have taken off, but thank goodness, haven't gone far. As far as the gluing goes: I made 1 layer a silhouette of the bird, silver side down, then glued on at least at 3, 4 or 5 pieces in the colors & shapes I wanted, again silver side down. We get huge flocks of green parrots that pass throghu here seasonally so dd#3 asked me to make one of those. He came out kind of cute! - Laura

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 4:07PM
toomuchglass(5)

I love them !!! So colorful :) It's giving me windchime ideas ~~~~~

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 4:13PM
sunnyca_gw

Love the birds! We get parrots going through often also but they were from a "bust"(illegal to sell them in U.S.)& while the cops were talking to them, 1 guy slipped to back & turned them all loose. They like it here & went from about 10-12 to close to 30. They are so destructive & attacked my bro.s almond tree & tore off limbs & left the yard a mess & almonds were not even near being ripe for picking. I've scared them out of my yard couple of times. Very noisy also. The black & green & red & black birds are my favorite but the cute little blue headed 1 is darling too. Jan

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 8:03PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

What a good idea. I love the little blue jay one especially.
It would be fun to try them in fruit trees to see if they keep the birds a way.
Kathy

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 10:38AM
nonacook(8bFL)

I need some in my garden!
Will have to find some patterns!

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 12:48PM
spedigrees z4VT

Very creative, Laura! I like the robin best but they're all cute and quite realistic.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 1:53PM
mommyandme2

For patterns, I searched "google images" for "birds"; sometimes I searched for a specific bird, such as 'blue jay' or 'robin'. I looked for the simplest image, printed out 2 copies. one I left whole and used it to make a cardboard pattern for the back layer of the bird. I cut the 2nd bird into pieces so I could rebuild the bird in several different colors. For some birds the back & wing were one piece & the belly another. For others, the wing was a separate piece. I have a pile of scraps from making hundreds of flowers, so I was able to find tiny pieces of yellow or black for eyes & beaks. - Laura

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 2:51PM
mommyandme2

For patterns, I searched "google images" for "birds"; sometimes I searched for a specific bird, such as 'blue jay' or 'robin'. I looked for the simplest image, printed out 2 copies. one I left whole and used it to make a cardboard pattern for the back layer of the bird. I cut the 2nd bird into pieces so I could rebuild the bird in several different colors. For some birds the back & wing were one piece & the belly another. For others, the wing was a separate piece. I have a pile of scraps from making hundreds of flowers, so I was able to find tiny pieces of yellow or black for eyes & beaks. - Laura

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 3:02PM
bookjunky4life(5 Central IL)

Laura - you beat me to it! I was just searching for patterns for birds before I got on GW and saw this :) I found a really good cardinal shape to use. I've been doing butterflies, to use for a windchime. No more recycling aluminum cans for me, just the scraps that are left over.

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
Craft fairs and Garden Junk
I know this really isn't the time of year to find Garden...
toomuchglass
Glass Totems at Longwood Garden
I was amazed to see several glass totem bird baths...
frankielynnsie
Re purposing A Window
Hi, I just got all new windows for my house, and don't...
gabby811 6 NJ
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™