Need Houseplant Identification

Zen131(7b WA)July 19, 2011

Hi, I'm new to houseplants and this forum. I recently purchased a plant did not have an identification marker. I'd really like to know what it is so that I can care for it properly. The link to the photo is below--any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

~Zen

Here is a link that might be useful: My Mystery Plant

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It's one of the Fittonias, aka 'nerve plant'. I don't remember the species name, but you can google that pretty easily.

Bookmark   July 19, 2011 at 11:00PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Zen & welcome,

Yes, that is a Fittonia, a lower light plant that likes high humidity. I've grown it successfully in a bathroom window behind frosted glass or in a terrarium kept on the edge of a window. I find them very pretty.

When I moved into this apartment (23 yrs. ago) I carried in my arms a large terrarium of this very Fittonia. The moving driver offered me money for it. I had it for some time, very nice plants.

Other than wanting the high humidity they're pretty carefree. They do benefit from being pinched back frequently (after 2nd or 3rd pair of leaves). Enjoy.

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 12:03AM
birdsnblooms

Zen, Welcome to GardenWeb.

Your plant is Fittonia argyoneura...common name, Silver Nerve Plant.

Although Fittonias are sometimes grown as a house plants, they're mainly sold as outdoor, annual, Accent Plants and ground covers.

Since you mentioned you were new growing house plants, 'and I wish you the best of luck,' Fittonia's are somewhat fussy.

As Karen stated, she grew hers in a terrarium.

Fittonias are humidity-lovers, but fresh air is important, too. If you decide to place yours in a terrarium, ventilation is needed. Fresh air. Soil should be kept moderately moist, but not soggy. Pinch the top two to four leaves every other month so it doesn't get spindly.

I hope your Fittonia lives forever, but if by chance you lose it, don't be discouraged. Toni

Bookmark   July 20, 2011 at 2:59PM
Zen131(7b WA)

Thanks for the welcome, everyone :)

The fittonia was in sad shape when I got it. It had many brown leaves and the pot had a huge crack in it. It seems to be doing well since I got it home but I'm wary of how it will fare during a pacific northwest winter.

Bookmark   July 23, 2011 at 11:53PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Well Zen,

If you're nervous about it going into the Winter, perhaps from the pinching back you'll do going in the Fall, you could likely re-start the tip pinchings in some perlite kept moist & covered, that way you could start more plants.

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 2:12PM
Zen131(7b WA)

Thanks Pirate Girl. Great suggestion!

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
Adenium seedlings
HI all, I haven't posted here in a couple years now......
ttkidd
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™