avocado tree

littlewinglevityJuly 8, 2014

Hi :)
I started growing an avocado tree from a pit about six-seven weeks ago. I live in Israel so it's super hot out every day and my plant seems to be doing really well. It grows fast and big and I even started another one a few days ago (and he already has a small root).
thing is- I read I should cut back my plant.. "pinching and pruning" they call it, so he has more leaves. However, most videos were posted from other countries and their plants seem to be taller and have fewer leaves than mine. My tiny tree is still about 10cm tall and has plenty of large leaves and more growing from the stem every day! Should I still pinch and prune?! Or should I leave him alone?! Also should I plant him in soil already or wait a little longer? most sites say I should wait until he's taller and has more roots..
I really want him to do well. He is the first plant I've ever tried growing so any help will be great :)
Thanks in advance!

Oh and I added a picture so you can see how he's doing ^_^

This post was edited by littlewinglevity on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 21:33

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Hello! And welcome!

I would pot the tree immediately into a container, and be sure to keep the potting mix moist while the tree settles into the new pot.

Do not prune your tree yet as it is still quite small. It will grow very tall - or will try to, at least - and then you can prune it down to make it more manageable for you.

Josh

Bookmark   July 8, 2014 at 11:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christine1950

Wow, I've never seen one grow so well in water, great job your doing. Josh gives great advice, you should look up some of his posts on his avocado trees....

Bookmark   July 9, 2014 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Moister Measurement
I recall having a very useful tool that I could stick...
bobv2
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™