Succulents in Pennsylvania?

fandog(6a)July 26, 2013

Recently moved and i found a whole patch of these on the east side of the house. They have squishy leaves like a succulent and form pups as they grow which explains the huge patch of them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sradleye

sempervivum, people have them in there landscaping some here in western ny as well

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 9:41PM
fandog(6a)

Awesome, thanks. At the risk of being scolded by someone for not only talking about houseplants, could these sempervivum be used on banks that are too steep to mow. Some people use ivy or blue junipers as ground cover, but if it would work it would be cool to use these.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 9:57PM
sradleye

from what I've seen its pretty hard to get scolded here. now if you head into some of the other sections then use caution! lol

I know nothing about landscaping but my thought is maybe the incline would improve drainage thus giving the succulent the dry environment it wants? plus lots of sun

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 10:24PM
auron22(6b OH)

I wouldn't be too worried about not being relevant, house plants forum isn't fussy about that. Usually we all just like to talk about plants...period, and always enjoy photos of plants. Purple has a better way of putting it....(pretty sure it's purple?).

Anyway, it will probably work, but i'm worried if it will be dense enough to keep out unwanted plants. Wouldn't be fun weeding a steep bank while avoiding stepping on sempervivum. This is a good topic for cacti & succulents forum. You'll get reliable information from them on whether or not it's a good idea. I'll provide a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cacti & Succulent forum

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 10:26PM
marquest(z5 PA)

Yes they work wonders on a hill and you will not have to worry about watering or mowing. Do a google on them you may find you want to buy more and add to what you have. You can buy some other colors.

They do grow close enough to smother weeds but depending on how big the hillside is it may take a few years. I used them on a slope and between bricks. They like lean soil which also keeps out weeds because the soil is not rich and because you will water less even the weeds that may come up here and there die from the dry.

This is a slope at another house. I laid some cardboard down, picked up some marble chips and planted. I made pockets between the rocks put some soil in and planted the sempervivum.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 2:30AM
More Discussions
Pepperomia
i have been struggling with this ornery little persnickity...
suyoder
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™