Powdery Mildew on winter squash...Pick them?

rhome410September 11, 2009

Should I go ahead and pick my winter squash now that the leaves and stalks are getting powdery mildew? Will it hurt the squash to leave them a little longer? I think they're about ready anyway... Of course, I have little idea of what I'm talking about, since I'm a relatively inexperienced gardener, but they look about right. We're due for some sunny days, so I could separate them from the plant and leave them so the skins harden/cure. A lot of what I read says they're mature when the skins can't be cut with a fingernail. I am afraid to try that in case they're not really ready and I'll introduce a hole that might prevent them from lasting in storage...?

We're in maritime Western Washington and probably a month (or more?) from frost.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
theonebluegecko(9b)

Don't worry about the powdery mildew hurting your squashes. The winter squashes I have that have come from infected plants have lasted just as long in storage. Although, I would try to fight the powdery mildew because you really want to make sure they are ripe and given a change to grow all they will.

Don't worry about any holes from your fingernail. It will not go deep enough to harm the fruit and should scar over quite fine and should not have an impact on storage.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 11:10PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhome410

Thanks so much, theonebluegecko! Now back to the posts I found in a search that talk about how to get rid of this stuff... I thought maybe it was so far into the season it wasn't worth it.

Bookmark   September 11, 2009 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Are winter squash leaves edible?
for example, butternut squash?
takadi
eggplant not germinating
I put in my eggplant seeds on 1/25 and left them on...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™