indoor houseplant problems

wrig1969July 5, 2014

I have an oxalis plant that was slowly dying so I moved it outside and bingo - in about a week it perked up and is doing fine now. I also have several lemons that have severely curled up leaves some of which yellow and drop off. I've lost about 4 lemons. I set on of my sickliest lemons outside and it seems to have benefited as well. I have an electric heat pump and air. My humidity is about 50%. What is wrong? (Plants are in a fairly well lit kitchen with lots of windows.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Indoor light, no matter how bright, doesn't come anywhere close to what's outdoors.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 12:03AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I know nothing about lemons but doubtful it's possible to have a great specimen inside. They are full sun trees in a natural setting.

Oxalis is a bulb plant that can go dormant at times (of low light, low moisture, low temps, really high temps.) Do you know which Oxalis it is? Knowing where you are could help the discussion/advice to be as accurate and relevant as possible.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 10:00AM
wrig1969

I have an update on my lemon tree problem. I had the soil tested & the pH was 4.6-apparantly I was overfeeding them (30-10-10) & the excess nitrogen was lowering the pH. Does this sound plausible? P & K levels were also very high.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 10:26PM
petrushka

you need to flush it with lots of water - sev times the volume of the pot. or put in the sink and run slowly water thru the pot for 10 min.
citrus forum has excellent info on growing citrus part indoors (winter) part outdoors. you need to repost there for feed/repot advice.
most citrus need to be outside during the warm months to do good. calamondin and meyer lemon can survive indoors in southern window. otherwise even they need to go outside. they can take part-sun - like 6 hours. but do better with more sun.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 10:43AM
More Discussions
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
Zebra cactus update - still not looking great?
Ok, so I first posted at the end of January about my...
niknac
Pepperomia
i have been struggling with this ornery little persnickity...
suyoder
Peace Lily -Black Leaves
This is a repost from 2005! I've reviewed every thread...
sylvan
Moister Measurement
I recall having a very useful tool that I could stick...
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™