Pothos with little holes in the leaves

pinkiemarie(5)July 21, 2012

This is an established pothos that I've had for about 2 years named Jacques. Overall he seems quite healthy but he's got about 5 leaves with these strange little holes in them. The holes run in a straight line and don't seem to bother the leaf. I can't see any pests on him. The photo I uploaded, FYI, is a brand new leaf about 2 weeks old. He lives in a hanging pot and doesn't get great light. Any ideas? I just want to be sure it's not some pest that's bothering him. I know it could be a symptom of light or water, but it's on so few leaves...Thanks! :)

PS, sorry for the low quality of the picture. Cell phone doesn't have a very good camera!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

Very difficult to see much on that photo. But Pothos is an Epipremnum. Do a search on Epipremnum images and you'll see a lot of them have holes in leaves and/or split leaves. If the holes are regular and don't look "bitten" then I wouldn't worry.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 12:20AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

That damage occurred when the leaf was still rolled up when very young. This kind of physical damage is caused by some sort of accidental injury in your home unless it lives outside. I would then suggest an insect of some sort.

What does the rest of the plant look like?

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 12:41AM
pinkiemarie(5)

Rhizo 1 - the rest of the plant looks really nice with the exception of just a few leaves. Now that you mention it, it does look like someting could have happened to these leves while they were still rolled up. That would explain why the holes go in such a straight line. Hmmm. He's hanging, so physical damage is unlikely. I'm kind of thinking it isn't a pest because the vast majority of the leaves look fine. Weird.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 10:57AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Insects can do this kind of damage but those are typically observed outside. I'd not worry about this.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 1:59PM
stewartsjon

Looks like physical damage to me, e..g the leaf might have got rubbed before it unfurled, or folded somehow.

It's nothing to worry about IMHO.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 4:01AM
More Discussions
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Does anyone know the name of this plant?
Aran Yeo
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
Ming aralia
I've had a Ming Aralia in my cubicle for almost 6 months...
yuliju
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™