Summer Cart Jumper -- Burgundy Ficus - New to Me

pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)August 29, 2010

Hi Folks,

This interesting Ficus elastica Burgundy recently appeared at my local supermarket & insisted on coming home w/ me. For the first month, it's been fine.

Its Burgundy cast was quite strong, it's not so easy to see in these pix:

It's starting to misbehave a bit, drooping lower leaves, I suspect drainage issues.

Interesting what shows up in Supermarkets from time to time: was $9.99 & only one there, & I felt it was waiting for me.

I may need a consultation w/ Uncle Al. It may be time for me to try that famous gritty mix of his for this Ficus, assuming it could work for me indoors.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Lol - Pretty plant. I grow about 30-40 Ficus covering at least 8 species & they all summer outdoors, over-winter indoors in the gritty mix. All my cacti and succulents, and anything else that could remotely be considered a houseplant is in the gritty mix, + all my bonsai and everything else I'm growing on in a container for bonsai. Thasalotta plants - maybe 250-300?

Al

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 6:29PM
ankraras(8/9AZ)

It is a very pretty and excellent container grown Ficus.

I can only speak from my personal hot climate growing experience. I have mine outdoors year around and now I am watering daily. Once they start losing the lower leaves then side branches start growing, it does tend to take quite a bit of space.

Supannee

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 8:15PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Supannee,

What a long time no see (years). Thanks, even tho' mostly not my growing.

Al, Wow, that's a lot of plants.

This is now at the point where I can lift the whole thing out of the pot, which I recall from your writing is about when it can start to decline.

Lately I had to water too often, I think the rootball is getting a bit too dense inside. Last week, I poked holes into the mix, water way down deep into the holes & then let it soak overnight & it FINALLY got a good drink.

Al, I hope to be in touch soon w/ a couple of questions about your mix. TIA

(PG) Karen

Bookmark   August 30, 2010 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue
It hursts so that my Pachira Aquatica "money tree" plant is hurting so
Hi all, love this site and I finally joined! I've read...
mobbsuit_beasley
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™