Croton plants look like dying after repotting

skimaAugust 1, 2014

Hi,

I am having a problem with my Croton plants after re-potting and my concern is if they will come back.

I had two Croton plants in one pot and they were getting to big for it. I split the two into two separate pots. This is obviously stressful to the plants and they became very week the day after almost as if struck by disease.

A number of folk told me that this is normal and they shall come back but on day two (today) they seem even weaker.

Here are the photos, the day photos are on day one, and the night photos are on day two:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-ebpyFhpOaUeEdsVG5FYWE0N0k&usp=sharing

Is there anything I should be doing or knowing when repotting / splitting these plants?

Would be grateful for any words of advice,
Thanks you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Photos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MsGreenFinger GW(8 Ireland)

Well, after repotting, mine dropped all its leaves but one. It took a while but it has lot of new growth now and even flowering! They will pull through just don't overwater them.
Also I have to ask what kind of soil did you use for repotting.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 8:33AM
tropicbreezent

Separating two growing together probably damaged a lot of the fine roots. They'll recover from that but it'll take more than a couple of days. Follow the advice about not overwatering them. Otherwise, they're quite a tough plant.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 8:45AM
skima

Hi,

thank you for the kind advice and sharing your experiences. The bigger plant look better now but it's smaller brother is not doing so well. I will let time do it's thing.

For potting I used Miracle Grow Organic soil and I use organic plant food liquid.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
Can anyone help identify this plant?
I was given this plant a while back from my mother-in-law...
Danielle
What is this?
Noticed today that my 'perfect' Spider plant of the...
MrBlubs
Peace Lily
i want to try and grow peace lily plant from seed,...
lulu627
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™