Small Fragrant and/or Edible for Under CFL?

jjblancheAugust 13, 2014

In a nutshell I have a spot on a corner desk I'd like to put a nice plant. I've rigged up a 6500K 27 watt CFL (the four tube four pin flat kind, not spiral) and have 20" of vertical space from the desk surface to the bulb. This can be adjusted lower but not really any higher.

Factoring in pot size I can maybe fit a 12" plant, probably something more like 8-10" (or a plant that can be kept trimmed to that size). I can probably do about three feet in width if the plant gets bushy. At first I was thinking something fragrant to act as an air freshener, then started to consider edibles but I really don't know where to begin. I have tons of experience with outdoor vegetable gardens but am kind of clueless when it comes to finding a plant that fits within the above parameters.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tavimh(5)

I recommend Hoya Lacunosa for scent. It is kind of a hanging plant, but it would be happy sprawling in your space even if it was trimmed from time to time. You could possibly trellis it up a tiny trellis under your lamp.

This hoya does not need as much light as some, and it is very small, attractive, and easy to grow. The scent is the absolute best! However, it is mainly fragrant at night. If your not going to be around your desk from evening to early morning you are going to miss the scent. Mine is in the bathroom and I can smell it in the living room at night. It smells like the inside of a florist's cooler, very floral. To me it is a lot like carnations and hyacinth. Mine bloomed about 9 months from a rooted cutting, and it looks to keep blooming intermittently year round.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 12:45PM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

jjblanche, a computer programmer! grew three herbs in a 'topsider' on the windowsill of his (corner) office.
Regularly, he would cut the tops off them and take the "cuttings" home for garnishing / eating.
I was impressed.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 6:48PM
adamharbeck(WA Aust)

Lemon balm is fragrant and edible :)

Bookmark   August 17, 2014 at 9:16PM
teengardener1888(NY Albany 5a)

Its not fragrant but seldom known Cuban oregano(P. amboinicus), is a great indestructible edible, that taste like its namesake. For fragrance,Arabian tea Jasmine

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
umbrella plant care
I recently bought an indoor umbrella plant just like...
desdurso
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
Pepperomia
i have been struggling with this ornery little persnickity...
suyoder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™