Fertilizer?

superpoutyduck(9a)September 4, 2012

I'm looking for a good 3-1-2 fertilizer to use as a general purpose fert in my raised beds. I use foliage pro 3-1-2 for my containers; is there an organic granular equivalent? Alfalfa meal seems like a great option, but nowhere local knows the NPK rating on it, they just buy it as bulk animal feed. Shipping fees online are... Prohibitive, unless there is somewhere I am missing. Anything good at Lowes or Home Depot? We have both of those locally...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
barrie2m_

Alfalfa meal should be in that varying ballpark of nutrients. For N level just divide protein content by 6.25 so a 25% protein alfalfa meal will have 4% N. Phosphorus needs to be converted to P2O5(Phosphate) and Potassium to K2O (Potash) but I would expect P to be around .35-.40% and K to be ~1.5-1.8% in the alfalfa meal.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 3:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
planatus(6)

Gardentone is 3-4-4 and they have it at Lowe's. You can also go to omri.org and search "fertilizers," then find a producer near you. I use a locally-produced poultry manure product (5-4-3) that is OMRI listed and cheap because it is produced only 50 miles away.

I like sticking with the OMRI list because they consider how the products are produced as well as the end results.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Cucumber leaves turning white
Hi, I am totally new to having any sort of garden and...
wanderess
ancient
this news just in-23 year old lettuce seeds do not...
davids10 z7a nv.
Melon transplants or direct seed?
I've read and heard conflicting info on this... what...
formerly_creativeguy
Are artichokes difficult to germinate?
I planted some 8 days ago... I got nothing. They are...
Peter
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™