Lady Bugs & a Bumble Bee

mommyandme2February 16, 2012

I bought this "item" at a GW store for 75 cents.

I have no idea what it is supposed to be. The glass jar is tiny and has no drainage so you can't grow a plant in it. The glass jar is round on the bottom so you can't set a votive candle in it. It's a strange looking piece, but I bought it for the lady bugs. I had to cut them off with a bolt cutter. Here they are all dressed up.

Take another look at the first picture & imagine it without the glass jar & the lady bugs. I laid it on its side & I saw the beginnings of a bumble bee. I attached some strips of aluminum flashing to form the rear end, covered the body with black & yellow wires and created some wings. I added a couple of beads where the lady bugs used to be. The face is the bottom of a soda can. I attached orange beads for eyes. Unfortunately, they don't really show up on the black face. When I find beads that I think will work better, I'll replace them. Here is the finished bumble bee.

It's not the best picture, I'm afraid, but I think you'll get the idea.

--- Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pixie_lou

Love those little lady bugs. They look absolutely charming with the coat of paint stuck on your fence.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 6:18PM
sunnyca_gw

I love the lady bugs too! So cute! Since I'm allergic to bees, they don't appeal to me too much but that was a great way to use up rest of the metal.Jan

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 9:58PM
marylee_2010

Laura, Love the lady bugs too. You are certainly very creative to see a bumble bee after you removed the black lady bugs. I see you have made some flowers from pop cans. I am going to try that. Thanks for sharing.

Marylee

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 7:57AM
mommyandme2

I probably should have taken some step-by-step pictures as I made the framework into a bumble bee. It was a difficult process for me & I actually had to take it all apart & start over. I can follow step-by-step directions, if they are clear, but creating something on my own took a heck of a lot of trial-and-error. Even though I didn't get a very good final photo, I'm pretty proud of my results.
Marylee: Yes, most of my garden, except for some cactus & a morning glory vine, is made of soda cans. --- Laura

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 9:07AM
Marlene Kindred

Cute ladybugs...I'm sure they're much happier in their new paint and bling! You must have an endless supply of wire and sundries.....you come up with the biggest variety of bug wings I've ever seen.

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 12:00PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Very cute lady bugs. Great re uses of an odd piece.
Kathy

Bookmark   February 17, 2012 at 7:37PM
trashydj

very creative uses now you can use the glass part as a mushroom just a suggestion I posted earlier but don't see it

Bookmark   February 18, 2012 at 9:32PM
mommyandme2

I didn't think of using the glass as a mushroom top. I'll have to look for it & see what I can do !

Bookmark   February 19, 2012 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
My Summer Project - Potting Shed Makeover
We had a cute little shed used for storage of our mower,...
luvs2click
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Recycling old purses in the garden!
I would have never thought of this myself! I sure wish...
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™