My latest yard art

nmgirl(8 S.NM)February 26, 2011

I kept walking past this lamp at Savers, it had been there for months. Every time I went junking there I'd wind up standing in front of the thing and staring at it. Then I'd walk away thinking, "if it's there next time I'll buy it." I finally gave in and brought it home.

These hooks on it kept intriguing me. And I loved the glass face on the top.

Removed the old wiring, cleaned it up and gave it a fresh coat of paint.

I couldn't decide what to hang on the hooks or to even keep them so the poor thing was stuck in the garage for awhile. Until I found these.

Oh yeah, now we're getting somewhere!

Ran them through the dishwasher and still has to scrub off the pricing. Drilled a hole in them, scrounged around and found some black coated wire. Attached them to the frame and here's the result.

A couple of different views.

I'm happy with it. If I did the math right the total cost was about $12.00. Not bad at all.

What do y'all think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjowest(5)

Love your grass! lol- counting the days to green over here, also...

That is really cool! it was a lamp? I love it when I can think through a purchase for a few trips like that, without anyone buying it!

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 4:41PM
marylee_2010

That is really awesome. I am so glad you kept after it until you decided to get it. You have one of a kind. Thank you for sharing. - Marylee

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 4:44PM
jeannespines

I love the "face" of the lamp & am also lovin' the plates (or whatever they were in former life) that you added! Now I'm not sure if you're "done" w/the pc! I think it may need more....ummmm...stars or moons? Interesting & a great find! I love the pic where you stood it in front of the dried grasses! Gave it the depth it needed!

That "face" reminded me of this one I bought...that ended up being added to the blue bottle fence...isn't it fun to give new purpose to things! LOL! TFS, nmgirl! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 4:52PM
sweetkountry

If the pricing is done in marker, try spraying it with hairspray. Sounds weird but it really works. I have even gotten the marker off of plastic with very little effort. One or two little pumps and the marker lifts right off.

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 5:45PM
sunnyca_gw

I think it will look great in the garden especially around some greenery. If hairspray doesn't get off the markers try WD40 it does a good job on most of stuff I get from TS. Jan

Bookmark   February 26, 2011 at 10:18PM
puggranny(Zone 8)

I love it!!! Perfect!! You did a great job

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 12:51AM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Very nice. the plates are a great addition.
Kathy

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 5:55AM
luna_llena_feliz

Awesome find and awesome reuse of it! Love it!

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 6:28AM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Hairspray and WD40? That's why I love this forum, you can always learn something.
I like the piece in front of the grass too but we're currently under a high wind warning, are coming into Spring (more high winds) and that side of the house gets hammered when it blows. So after things calm down in about 6 weeks (at least) the piece will probably live by the grass. BTW: in case you're interested the grass is Muhlenbergia rigens, it's just a baby, only a year old.
My DH even likes the piece. He's usually very...tolerant but not enthusiastic but he carted it around the yard for me so I could take the pictures. He thinks it looks good by the grass too. Wow.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 6:50AM
excessfroufrou(7)

That is one fantastic piece of garden art. I love the plates on there. What I don't understand was how it was a lamp before, where was the light?
Frou

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 9:35AM
dollydee(7-MS)

That is soooo very cool :)

Glad you kept your eye on it and love the additions to it...great job!!!

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 9:44AM
Marlene Kindred

Great job! It looks so much better as a piece of garden art than a lamp! Love the sun face and the glass pieces that you added...great find.

Oh, and PAM does wonders removing everything from stickers to wax pencil....and it even stops squeaky doors!!

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 10:31AM
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Hairspray, WD40 and PAM. Makes you wonder about using it for cooking.
The PAM, not the WD40.

Frou: the light bulb was screwed into the socket that was sticking up behind the glass top piece. I can't imagine how it looked. Oh yes I can. Ugly.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 1:49PM
laurastheme(8)

Absolutely gorgeous!! The plates really set off. Great job!

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 4:40PM
kirkus(5a)

I have meant to comment on this since you first posted! LOVE IT!!!! What a find! I gotta get to Value Village (like Savers) more often and explore. I love what you did to your find! Thanks for inspiring! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 11:43PM
mjowest(5)

Mr clean eraser works well on permanent marker, also!

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 8:08AM
azcactusflower

Beautiful piece of yard artwork. Must look really nice when the sun shines through it. VERY creative idea.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
GJ Inspiration Albums on Photobucket
I've not been here in a long time, but thought I'd...
Purplemoon
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™