Lucky Bamboo - Fluoride or Light Problem?

jinxaireAugust 22, 2010

I just moved apartments a month ago and my lucky bamboo's not looking too good. I started giving it filtered water from an under-the-sink filter instead of the machine reverse osmosis water I used to buy, but the lighting where it's sitting is also a little different from my old apartment. Can you please let me know if this yellowing is being caused by the water or the light? Sorry for the picture quality.

Don't mind the trimmed off tip in the first pic - I used to use tap water until all of the tips browned and I learned that they need filtered water. However, as you can see, it's developing dry tips again (the untrimmed brown tips).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It looks nutritionally deficient - what are you doing to supplement nutrition?

Al

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 11:24AM
greattigerdane(z5NY)

I always used tap water (hard water) for about two or three years on all of mine when they were growing in just water, then I moved them to soil and they still get tap water with no ill effects on the leaves.
I have read where if they are in water for a long time, they CAN end up getting root rot for some people.
It's a little hard to tell if yours is in soil or water, but make sure if it's in soil, that it's not drying out all the way, or staying soggy wet causing root rot. Keep the soil a little on the moist side at all times (I usually water once a week) and also make sure the plant is not getting a lot of direct sun.
Mine get a little bit of direct sun, mostly though, bright indirect and some dapple sun.
They are planted in with syngoniums which also like moist soil. They get a little diluted "reg" fertilizer each week and all the ends of Dracaena sanderiana (lucky bamboo) are perfectly fine, nice and green and have been for years:)

Billy Rae

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 11:58AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Browned tips usually indicate root-rot with these plants, indeed.

How often are you cleaning the pot, stones, and changing the water?

I've seen these grown in horribly dim locations, so my guess would be
a root or nutrient issue.

Josh

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 12:18PM
jinxaire

Thanks, everyone. It's been a couple of months since I gave it fertilizer and a complete water change but the poor things have survived worse than that from me before. I know, I was a very bad lucky bamboo caretaker...

I went to check for root rot and when I took the plants out of the container, I saw that the roots looked just fine, but the stalks are yellowing from the base up. :(

I went ahead and cut the shoots off the plant and hopefully, they'll root. If they do, I'll be sure to do weekly water change and feed the little guys more regularly.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 12:48AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Plants that are not growing are dying. Plants need all the essential elements available at all times to grow normally. Tapwater does not supply all the essential elements. Draw conclusions. ;o)

Al

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Dying Yukka Plant! Help!
Hi everyone, I have a yukka tree that is about 9 years...
fortunespace
Can this Dracaena be Saved?
This long neglected Dracaena has been growing sideways,...
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
Brown Leaf Spots on Dracaena
Hi all, I have a dracaena fragrans that I bought at...
breadherring
Help me save my cat Palm!!
Hi, I've had my palm for almost a year now, the first...
connor55
My Spider Plant Again......
Out of all my plants this one just seems to get everything....
MrBlubs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™