Herb Plant Markers from Old Silverware

jeannespinesFebruary 21, 2009

I just finished up 5 old silverware plant markers to use when I pot herbs later in the Spring.

Saw this idea in an old painting book...so I added some old jewelry & beads for accents...also half marbles to the silverware (5 for $1 @ TS). Used outdoor paint & a paint pen on the silverware.

Butterflies are GS earrings...LOL!

Here they are lying flat on my computer room curtain:

Used some old stainless steel wire for wrapping:

Of course, I think they will look much nicer stuck in the dirt in my plant pots...COME ON, SPRING! Jeanne S.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nmgirl(8 S.NM)

Fantastic, what a neat idea! I'm going to have to make some of these. Thanks for posting.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 5:23PM
susiewantsroses(7b)

Wow, Wow, and Wow!!! They will look great in your herb pots. I love the patina on the handles. The wire and beads are truly artistic. SUPER! Susie

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 5:31PM
Marlene Kindred

What a GREAT idea! Love the wonderful color and all of your decorations on them!!! Ooooohhhh...I may have to "borrow" this idea too!

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 7:33PM
susiesunshine

W O W !!!!!!!!!!!! Cool Idea !!!
Thanks for sharing the pics & the Ideas !
You did a Great job....
they Look Fantastic !!!!!!!
God Bless Your little Hearts !
SusieSunshine

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 9:21PM
luna_llena_feliz

Great job, Jeanne S.! What a great idea for markers. That might be something even I could borrow (with my tiny balcony)!

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 9:24PM
cindee11461(z9CA)

Those are so cute. I love them!!!!

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 9:33PM
daisydal(7)

Jeanne, those are fantastic! Love all the neat little touches you added to them, and those little butterfly earrings, what a great idea! Can't wait until you get to use them in your herbs!
blessings-sherri

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 9:42PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Fantastic!
kathy

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 9:44PM
sunnyca_gw

Great idea, they look antique! What color green did you use? I suppose stainless steel wire is available at Home Depot. Don't know what gauge do you? I'm thinking about 18. 20 I can bend easily with my hand so think it's a little too light.Love the jewelry & the matching marble! That really makes it look expensive! Jan

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 10:02PM
laurastheme(8)

What a great idea. I'm going to run into a thrift store real soon. I've been trying to decide what I want to use for plant markers. This is it.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 10:04PM
use2bcapecodr(z5 OH)

Jeanne, those are really great!! Very clever and unusual! I think I need some!!

Are the butterflies also wired on?

~Sandy~

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 1:09AM
jeannespines

Thanks, GJers...a fun project!

sunnyca...I used Folkart Outdoor Metallic Silver Sterling on the handles first, then Folkart Outdoor "Grass Green" and "Thicket"...small 2 fl oz bottles.

Wire gauge...I don't know cause it's some salvaged wire that is very old..can't read can label anymore...something stainless steel..National Standard Company, "safety lock wire"...who knows?...but it's very bend-able by hand & worked good.

capecdr..those butterfly earrings would have covered my whole ear (I think) LOL...drilled a hole in wing so I could wire them on...other broken jewelry had small holes already..used glass beads.

Have fun! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 1:31AM
katishooked(6)

These just are toooo special. Wonderful idea.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 8:32AM
TwoMonths(So Calif)

cool. I saw one a few months ago that was just a fork pushed in the they put the name on a card thru the prongs. It was an inside plant tho.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 11:53AM
tennesseetrash(7 east tenn)

Soooooo pretty and useful too! ~tenderlee

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 6:48PM
sunnyca_gw

Thanks Jeanne for the info!! I'm taking pic to show GF at club tomorrow!! I already have all the supplies except wire so that is great!! Jan

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 11:01PM
kirkus(5a)

Your creativity is endless, Jeanne! You should have your own shop or internet store! I love these! Thanks for sharing and inspiring once again! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 11:41PM
akup_a(7)

I love your bling plant markers! I've had those old, wide butter knives stuck in my pots for tilling the soil but never thought about "blinging them up"! Very clever creation.
Vickie

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 10:52AM
rhubarb_stalker(Z5b Western MA)

Jeanne, I was unable to see the images you posted. Would it be possible for you to upload them again? Many thanks.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 4:05PM
sprout_wi(z4 WI)

Same here!! I am salivating over the comments. I am in great need of plant markers. Pleaseeeeee?
-Sprout

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 4:11PM
jeannespines

Sure, I moved some of my pics into albums & so they disappeared, but here they are...they're fun to make & I'm happy to say I just SCORED (7) more knives at GW the other day ...at a price of 2 for 25 cts! So I'm making more to mark where I've planted Elephant Ears & Canna's ...cause they're so slow to come up! Hope you enjoy! Have fun creatin' some! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 7:23PM
mmebrady

I love them!!! Very cool! They'd fit right in with my "herbal tea pots"!

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 10:09PM
luna_llena_feliz

Thanks so much for posting these again Jeanne! I forgot how beautiful they are. And what a simple but wonderful idea! I might just have to steal it. lol

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 5:43PM
sprout_wi(z4 WI)

These are amazing Jeanne, thanks for posting them. Is it tricky to wrap? I've never done that. Your stones are unique, as well. Love the vintage look. Any special requirements as to paint and glue? Is the plant name written on with a marker. Sorry for all the questions - I just LOVE these!!
Thanks a bunch!!
-Sprout

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 11:24PM
jeannespines

sprout...I now use a paint pen for writing the names...I've tried those black soft-leaded pencils sold for that purpose to use on metal markers but they fade so quickly. The paints are small bottles of acrylic "outdoor" or "Patio" paints. I wrote earlier in this post so this info below may help...was easy to use the wire & I just used those decorative half glass marble thing-ies that GJer's use on bowling balls & other projects around here. Try one, they're fun! Jeanne S.

..."I used Folkart Outdoor Metallic Silver Sterling on the handles first, then Folkart Outdoor "Grass Green" and "Thicket"...small 2 fl oz bottles."

"Wire gauge...I don't know cause it's some salvaged wire that is very old..can't read can label anymore...something stainless steel..National Standard Company, "safety lock wire"...who knows?...but it's very bend-able by hand & worked good."

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 11:32PM
sprout_wi(z4 WI)

Thanks, Jeannespines - I appreciate all the great information.
-Sprout

Bookmark   June 13, 2010 at 9:30PM
sunnyca_gw

I used 20 gauge gold colored wire, could use stainless steel or aluminum wire if you want it to stay same color as when it goes on. I've got several made just need to take a pic. Added beads & some jewelry pieces to couple, it was fun. Not sure I can post pics right now, month of little sleep but dad is going to rehab place tomorrow so he can walk better & further. Talks fine & can eat well. Rehab is close, about a mile from home so hope I get to get back to doing some projects soon. Jan

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 2:21AM
briergardener_gw

Jenniespines,
What paint pen did you use to write on silverware? How long it will stay outside?

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 12:55PM
jeannespines

brier...I bought "paint.marker" fine tip from Hobby Lobby...they sell for $2.99 but I usually use a 40% off coupon & they last a long time! This brand is "tree house studio." I left the silverware out over the winter where I plant Elephant Ears & Canna's (marks the spot because they are so slow to come up) & the writing has lasted a couple yrs now on them...just saw one out there today).
Good luck! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 11:48PM
briergardener_gw

Thank you, Jeanne.
I'll try to find it.
You did not cover silverware with some kind of preservative after you have written on it with this marker?

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 9:00PM
jeannespines

No ...I didn't use anything on top of the paint pen...here's a pic of some replacement markers for some lilies last summer & they've been out all winter & I just ckd today & they look good yet. These were made from "skewters" & some left over roof flashing metal...the paint.marker has lasted the best for me. Jeanne S.

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 11:04PM
briergardener_gw

Thank you, Jeannie,
You are so creative. I have leftover of roof flashing and nice plastic chop sticks. Will steal your idea.
Thank you

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 8:53AM
JohnAGardener1

Nice marker. That is a very creative idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicki

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Flower Bed Bed Ideas
I was given two white plastic fence panels (similar...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
Acrylic vs. outdoor acrylic
Evening all, I am the school gardening mom for my son's...
uptomyeyeballs
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
Sponsored Products
Hive Pattern Design 3D Glue On Wall Panel / Wall Flats - Box of 10 (26.67sqft)
eModern Decor
Safavieh Runner: Organica Assorted 2' x 8'
$54.00 | Home Depot
Rosle Onion and Vegetable Chopper
$42.00 | FRONTGATE
Modern Pressed Glass Tube Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
Greenfield Arbor
Fifthroom.com
Suspension Plant Shade in White
$22.99 | Dot & Bo
Hammary Chow Sofa Table in Rub Through Black