Moving and concerned about moving plants..

bikesurly0527August 24, 2013

Hi, I'm moving and was wondering what suggestions you all might have to safely move a nearly 6 ft. tall Bay Leaf (not sure what the 'real' name is) and a 6.5 ft. Norfolk Pine. They've grown a lot in the 4 years I've been here and when I moved to where I am now it was possible for me to put them in the back of the station wagon. No longer! Would it be possible for me to move them on their side? Moving 50 miles away and it's a straight shot on the interstate so there wouldn't be a lot of moving around.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I would put them in the truck, or is there not a truck involved?

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 10:06AM
dellis326 (Danny)

I would take them out of the pot and wrap the root ball up in a couple layers of plastic, like garbage bags or something like that. then you don't need to worry about soil getting all over your car. You'll still need to prop up the plants by the stem so the branches don't break off. Maybe some flat cardboard boxes will work for that, something that can reach the stem between the branches will be necessary.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 3:13PM
alisonoz_gw

Don't need to take them out of pots. You can use scrunched up newspaper to surround the trunk of the plants on top of the soil, even bubble wrap. Then tape it down a few times across with packing tape. Put the whole pot into a garbage bag and if you are still concerned about spillage twist the ends of the bags at a couple of points and tape down again.
That takes care of the pot end.
For the growing end, it depends on what vehicle you are intending to use. and how much other stuff you have in there that might damage the leaves etc.
If, for example, you were thinking of strapping to a roof rack, well you'd position the pot at the front of the car and try to wrap the rest in as much bubble wrap as yu could afford.
If inside - like in the boot (trunk?) and then laying some seats forward, you just need to cushion the plant with bubble wrap, blankets, whatever works to stop it bouncing around. Seatbelts can work for plants, too!

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 3:37AM
More Discussions
Hawaiian Schefflera - 'Haircut' & Propagate
In this Forum, where I have been for only 1 week, I...
bobv2
Pepperomia
i have been struggling with this ornery little persnickity...
suyoder
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™