Baby's Tears and Wandering Jew

flkatladyAugust 6, 2011

I had both of these plants when I lived up north - does anyone know where they are available in Fl? I see them on line but shipping is prohibitive....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi Katlady,

Sorry, I don't know, but given how important landscaping is in FLA, I'm guessing you can find a couple of nurseries nearby where you might go & ask. Am guessing you mean for these to grow indoors, but either way, indoors or out, I'd tell the nursery people exactly what you have in mind.

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 10:59AM
brodyjames_gw

Try looking in the herb section for Baby's Tears. It is also called Corsican Mint. The store I work at sells it under this name in summer and groups it with the herbs. In winter, it arrives under the name of Baby's Tears and is sold in our houseplant section.
Hope this helps.

Nancy

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 11:44AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Soleirolia soleirolii is the scientific name of the once popular terrarium plant commonly called Baby Tears. It is NOT the same plant as Corsican Mint. I can't tell you why it has gone out of favor at the retail outlets. I used to like to plant little bits of it in glass baby bottles to give as a shower present.

Wandering Jew is the 'usual' common name for Tradescantia zebrina, though others may go by the same name, too. It is not a landscape plant. This is the one with the purple-y color under the leaves, but a silver tone on top. Used as a hanging basket. Is that the one you are thinking of? (Click on the attached link for pictures to compare.) I haven't seen a lot of this plant in recent years, either, it hasn't really been on my radar. Such a nice color contrast when grown in plenty of light.

As far as the latter goes, I'd think that you could find it in a decent plant outlet, even one of the big box stores. I'm not so sure of the Baby's Tears. Good luck on that one.

You might want to double check on the common names, though. You and I might be talking about different plants altogether!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wandering Jew

Bookmark   August 6, 2011 at 3:28PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

If you decide the wandering jew you're looking for is Tradescantia zebrina, I would be happy to send you a cutting for postage when it cools off.

Bookmark   August 8, 2011 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Moister Measurement
I recall having a very useful tool that I could stick...
bobv2
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
New ZZ Plant - Questions and Concerns
Picked up this ZZ Plant at the Philadelphia Flower...
ehuns27 7a PA
Pepperomia
i have been struggling with this ornery little persnickity...
suyoder
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Fired Clay in Gritty Mix
I've seen Napa Floor-Dry (8822), which is diatomaceous...
kwie2011
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™