Please help me ID this plant

cabanaAugust 22, 2010

I was given this plant when I was sick in a hosp[ital for a month. When I got home my now fiance had this waiting for me and named it GW (Get Well). But she had re-potted it and did not get the name off of it. We have never been able to find another plant like it and would really like to know if we are taking care of it correctly. Thanks everyone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Please help figure out what I am

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christine1950

It's part of the dracaena family,aka corn plant :>) They are pretty easy to take care of as long as you dont over water them and keep out of direct sun. Re-pot every 2-3 years.
Christine

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 8:58AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It sure doesn't look very happy.

Bookmark   August 22, 2010 at 2:32PM
zusya

looks like you might need a stake to get it upright. good luck, and get well!

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 12:48PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

From the Pix, I'd agree w/ Rhizo about the plant not looking happy.

IMO staking is the least of its problems. (A better & full height pic would help.) I'd suggest fresh soil, better drainage & maybe even a pruning as I'm guessing that bare stalk is quite tall. Nothing to be done about that, can't grow new leaves on the bottom.

Do some reading on these & consider if maybe cutting off the top w/ 6-8" to spare & re-starting it completely might not be the best thing to do.

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 3:14PM
kaktuskris(5)

Honestly, if it were my plant, and this is only my opinion, if it weren't for the sentimental value, I might toss it and begin again with a new plant. But to try to save it I would cut the top off and completely repot the plant with fresh potting mix. When and if new growth appeared I would place it near a sunny window.

It is important to identify the plant to determine the correct cultural requirements.

Christopher

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 5:13PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I would:
1) bare root it, but leave the top tuft of foliage on the plant. Yes, it looks ugly, but if it is providing ANY photosynthate (which is the only real plant food), you cannot afford to loose it. That's like trying to get a job done on time, but firing the workers because they're not working fast enough. ;o) If the foliage is not making energy, the plant will shed it on its own with no help. Be patient.

2) After removing all the soil, repot it into a fast-draining durable soil. Don't fertilize until you see the first indication of new growth. If the top dies back on its own, new growth will break from the old stem - if the plant remains viable.

3) Site the plant outdoors in dappled or open shade. Open shade is shade with open sky above, such as you would find on the N side of a building or fence.

4) Get your watering habits in tune with the plant and soil. If you need help in this regard - ask. No sense in boring you further if your not on board so far.

Al

Bookmark   August 23, 2010 at 8:24PM
More Discussions
How to introduce houseplants to outside and should i worry bout rodent
I got a lot of house plants in the last 9 months. I...
tlbean2004
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Pachira browning
Hi, all! My Pachira needs help. The trunk is not soft...
deborahsab
A lighter gritty mix and a 5-1-1 question
Hey, So I love gritty mix and only have a few plants...
hottomato99
Fiddle Leaf Fig & Baby Jade help...
I've had this fiddle leaf fig for about a year. Why...
sjhermann
Sponsored Products
Pierre Paulin - Roseline
| Italy Design
Ovis 75 Outdoor Bollard by SLV
$396.00 | Lumens
Grey Lattice Adjustable Height Swivel Armless Bar Stool
Zuri Furniture
Gandia Blasco | Sahara Planter 1
$530.00 | YLighting
Kichler Tully Antique Pewter Bath 2-Light
PLFixtures