Asparagus 'berries'

nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)September 23, 2011

Somewhere on this forum, I heard someone say that every one of those red berries on my asparagus will become a new plant.

If this was true, asparagus would take over the world (and that would be OK with me!) I have a zillion "berries" on my gus. Will any of them sprout new plants? Should I sprinkle them around the bed? Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nc_crn

The problem with growing Asp. from produced seed is you have no control over which are males and which are females.

If you have the space and leave enough room to prune without disrupting roots of asp. planted nearby you can grow them.

People generally like to make sure they're getting male plants, but you seem to have a female plant there and not minding it. The males tend to produce faster with thicker stalks.

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 9:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nc_crn

Oh yeah...you can always plant them in a "staging/sprouting" bed and move them after a year as transplants. You can select the best, prune male/females if desired, etc etc...

For consistency in germination you'd want to wait until spring to start seeds this way, though.

Bookmark   September 23, 2011 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™