Aspidistra Short Leaves?

yxeliAugust 9, 2014

Hey!

This is not so much a problem as my aspidistra is flying, flowers popped up last month and it has a lot of new growth, but the leaves are quite short compared to the rest of the plant. Was wondering what I might be doing wrong? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Is it definitely an Aspidistra? They flower fairly rarely and very discretely. They are also slow growers. Could it be a Spathiphyllum aka Peace Lily, do you think? They have similar leaves to Aspidistras but grow much faster, flower more freely and showily and are prone to producing miniature leaves sometimes. A picture would settle it.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 8:58AM
yxeli

Thanks Floral, heres a picture, I htink it definitly is an aspidistra as it has the exact flowers i've seen online, growing on the surface of the soil. 2 appeared about a month ago and are now dying back, i just noticed a new one too as i moved it to take the picture on my computer. also I've only had it for 2 years but last year it also flowered. I read that this is very unusual but whatever it is about this one it seems to be putting out flowers each season? Thanks for your help!

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 5:38AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Well, it's certainly an Aspidistra. Congratulations on the flowers. I can't see anything wrong with it actually. It looks extremely healthy to me. No brown tips and flowers to boot. On mine the new leaves get larger as they get older so maybe yours will do the same in due course. Keep the Aspidistra flying - it looks great.

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 6:26AM
yxeli

Thanks for you help floral! i sure will keep it flying! :) thanks!

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 3:52AM
More Discussions
Need help with my aloe plant
My mom gave me a sickly looking aloe plant about 5...
hallvick
Spider plant vs Mother-in-Law's Tongue: Day vs Night
I know that Spider plant and Mother-in-Law's Tongue...
dert17
Need Help with the Id of This plant
I need to know the name of this plant and if its a...
lulu627
Can anyone help identify this plant?
I was given this plant a while back from my mother-in-law...
Danielle
Droopy Pachira aquatica in 3:1:1
Hi, Last year I planted our 7 year old pachira aquatica...
true_blue (MTL CAN Z4)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™