butternut squash picked too early

aurore908September 2, 2012

I am a new gardener. The butternut squash patch seems to be doing well. I picked 2 that seemed to be huge, a nice tannish yellow color and firm. However when I got in from the blinding sun, I realized that they actually still had green stripes. They have been sitting in a sunny window for a week. Question: can I eat them even if they are not quite ripe. I'm particularly intrested in making Squash soup. Butternut squash cooked together with other root veggies and fruit makes a delicious soup. Would this be safe to eat?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcstoehr

Yes, perfectly safe to eat Butternut squash at any stage of development. The flavor might not be the best, but then again it might be quite good.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 10:23PM
amysrq(5)

I think I have also read that the squash tastes better after it has been cured a while. Not sure if this applies to one that's not fully ripened, but it might be worth a shot. On the other side of that equation is the fact that early picks don;t keep as well. So, I'd give it some time to sit, but not too much.

Dontcha hate all this ambiguous advice? :-)

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 10:52AM
aurore908

Thanks so much for the helpful advice. I will let them (there are 2)sit a few more days and then on to soup right from the earth in my backyard. I am so excited. I see 6 more developing but I will use a pair of younger eyes to look before I pick them.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 3:20PM
ltilton

It really does depend on whether you plan to store them. For storage, leave them on the vine as long as possible. For immediate consumption, pick them whenever you want to eat squach.

It's better to pick and use the younger fruits than try to store them while still immature.

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 3:36PM
penguinsrock09(5B)

They're definitely sweeter the longer you leave them on the vine itself. I've picked a few at the stage you described and they were still very tasty just not as sweet as they could've been. However, they'll work great still in soup!

Bookmark   September 3, 2012 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Aphids from hell
So, I have some aphids that have been on my overwintering...
pinkiemarie
Where is the sweet potato post?
Someone on here wanted to know if sweet potatoes would...
zzackey
fertilizer for tomatoes
are tomatoes heavy feeders ? some say fertilize other...
westlaketomatoqueen
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
mollysmom_2008
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™