Spider Plant Babies

mel_10(3)August 8, 2010

Hello all! I stumbled upon the GardenWeb website about a month ago and just absolutely love it. So much wonderful information, and tons of helpful people. I have a simple question concerning my spider plant and was trying to search for an answer but was unable to find anything. I am trying to root one of the babies on my variagated spider plant for my mom. I placed a tray of water under the baby, which is still attached to the mother plant. The baby has two roots growing on it already, the longest about a quarter of an inch. How long should I leave it attached to the mother plant? When should I place the baby in some potting soil? Any advice is most welcome.

Thanks, Mel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bunnygurl(Z3)

Personally, I prefer rooting the babies in soil from the start. The transition from water roots to soil roots can be tough. Either way, I leave my babies attached to the mother plant until I see substantial new growth, then I cut the stem as close to the baby plant as possible.

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 1:02AM
mel_10(3)

Thanks bunnygurl. I kind of figured that was case with rooting spiders after I started it in water. I have since placed the baby in some soil and it is growing happily :)

Bookmark   August 9, 2010 at 1:09PM
sweet_chicken(5b)

I have an additional question about this:

My son came home from school with a spider plant, and he's supposed to grow it and bring it back each year for a "plant fair." I've never successfully kept a plant alive for more than six weeks, but this thing is thriving!! I was cutting the stolons, because I didn't know what they were, and I thought it would help the main plant grow. But after reading online, I left them alone.

Now I have seven little babies out of my not even a year old plant, and I'm trying to root one for Me. I've got a good candidate: nice large baby, pretty leaves, nice flowers. I filled a small pot with lightly watered potting mix. Then I placed the baby on top of the damp soil and secured with a twist tie folded over it: not binding it, just keeping it in place.

My question is this: how long will it take the baby to grow roots?

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 9:01AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

They already have roots. Spiders are among the easiest plants to root because the plantlets at the ends of stolons come with preformed adventitious roots. Nestle them into a barely damp soil and keep it that way & they will happily take off.

Al

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 10:39AM
sweet_chicken(5b)

Thanks! I appreciate your answer!

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
Adenium seedlings
HI all, I haven't posted here in a couple years now......
ttkidd
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
mini indoor palm tree dilemma help please!
Hey guys, I have a mini palm tree in my bedroom. It...
queenofhearts3
Parlor palm (Chamaedorea elegans) seeds, male vs. female
Though they bloom like crazy, this is the first time...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
My Calathea is blooming - hehe
Flowers look pretty good!
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™