butternut squash 'accidentally' picked too soon

michelelcSeptember 2, 2009

Oops, I had a butternut squash that was growing in between my chain link fence and neighbor's wood fence. Long story short, I tried to pull the vine up so the squash that was growing wouldn't get too big to squeeze between the 2 fences and it came off. It's the size of a ripe butternut squash, but it's still green. Will it ripen on the counter is should I just add it to the compost pile?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan(5B SW Michigan)

Not sure if it will ripen, but you can eat it "green". Kinda like a cross between a zucchini and a ripe butternut in taste. I like them alot just like that and pick any young ones when freezing weather is predicted. Don't try to store them for long, though. If you add some brown sugar and sugar when cooking them, the underripe ones taste more like mature butternuts.....But then most anything tastes good to me with enough butter and sugar LOL

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 1:07AM
denninmi(8a)

I like them that way, actually. I either peel, slice, and roast in a hot over with herb/spice blend (Mrs. Dash type stuff), or sometimes I make thin slices and coat in Bisquick and fry in a bit of oil in a non-stick pan over very low heat.

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 11:03AM
tcstoehr

Won't ripen. Won't keep in storage. Eat it within a couple of weeks.

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 11:23AM
tedposey

When I had a bigger garden I used to grow butternut for winter squash. When they are young and tender they are as good sliced, battered with 1/2 cornmeal 1/2 flour and fried as yellow summer squash are.

Bookmark   September 3, 2009 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
hand pollinate broccolini?
Thanks to you guys, I realized that I bought Broccoli...
NewTXGardener (8a Dallas)
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™