Should I use this for my first fairy house?

garden_love(4)February 6, 2013

I just bought a new house a few months ago and this old hollow stump was in one of the gardens. I have finally decided to make it a fairy house. Is it a good choice? Of course we still have lots of snow so I have a few months to plan it out. Any thaughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frankielynnsie(7B)

I think it would make a lovely fairy house. It makes my creative ideas flow-you could make a mushroom cap of hypertufa for the roof and then several other hypertufa mushrooms in clusters around it to pull it together. When you get done put a picture up for us.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 9:57PM
garden_love(4)

Great ideas! I do plan on posting once it is done. I was wondering what I could do for a roof! Thanks!

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 10:08PM
bluestar_tam

I would definitely use it as a fairy house! I used a large log that had 2 smaller stumps coming off of it and created this gnome home. I like the way mine turned out. Yours has tons of potential! :o)

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 11:37PM
garden_love(4)

Your house is pretty awesome! I have never made a fairy house outside before. I have done a few bird houses for fairies but I don't go to the extent that I would for an outdoor fairy house. I moved the stump out of the garden and put it by my house so I didn't have to worry about any snow hurting it. but everytime I walk past it I can't help but think that I need to do something with it.

Bookmark   February 6, 2013 at 11:43PM
jeannespines

Cool stump & will be perfect for a fairy house ... add some little windows, shutters & a door ... you can make those out of wood or 'found junk,' of course! You wouldn't even have to attach a roof (unless you'd like)...you could make a roof from 'found materials' & stick it in the ground like 'umbrella' style! Oh, whatever you do, you're going to have fun! Yes, please share pics when you done! TFS! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 2:55PM
Marlene Kindred

Yes indeed, I think this stump would make an excellent fairy house! Keep us posted on your progress!

Bookmark   February 10, 2013 at 9:18PM
garden_love(4)

despite all of the snow, I have Already found a couple things for the fairy house for the spring. I can't wait!

Bookmark   February 11, 2013 at 3:30PM
sunnyca_gw

I saw a glass lamp shade that had markings on it yesterday at TS & my 1st thought was fairy house or tall mushroom. So that might work & hole in center allows it to have metal rebar going through it & into ground to hold it in place. Have fun & have couple of months to plan it out before Spring. Jan

Bookmark   February 12, 2013 at 2:00PM
a.girl.named.max(4a)

It's absolutely perfect for a fairy house!

Bookmark   February 21, 2013 at 3:43PM
garden_love(4)

Ok so im going to cheat on the house a bit. I was going to try to do everything with nature things but I was in a junk store today and HAD to buy a few things! I figured that with the mini birdhouse my fairys need some birds too! The wreath im going to decorate with nature things and hang it on the fairys door. and these veggie garden stakes were a must! Just perfect for the fairys to have a garden! I also got some natural spanish moss and a few little mushrooms. Cant wait for spring!

Bookmark   February 27, 2013 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
Yet another plate flower backing
I've thought about this for a long time, but I've never...
concretenprimroses
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
Acrylic vs. outdoor acrylic
Evening all, I am the school gardening mom for my son's...
uptomyeyeballs
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
Sponsored Products
Snug Oxford Tan Chair
bryght.com
Champagne Wall Sconce 2-Light Fluorescent
PLFixtures
The Celtic Egg Ornament
$169.00 | FRONTGATE
White Embossed Checkerboard Cabana Sheet Set
$16.99 | zulily
Edwardian Two-Light Wall Sconce
$233.10 | Bellacor