For Gritty Mix, how dangerous is DE when working with it?

oneleafAugust 25, 2010

I imagine that when working with Napa Floor Dry (DE), one should use a mask.

On Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth), it mentions Flux-Calcined DE being particularly dangerous.

Does Napa Floor Dry fall in this category? The thing is that even after screening it, if we have Gritty Mix in a big container, and someone goes in and sifts around, dust particles can come up.

If this is a dangerous product I may try to find something else. What are people's thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

You should complete your research & decide if there is a level of risk you're uncomfortable with & proceed based on your decision. Most DE that is not powdered would be flux-calcinated, but FWIW, it's used extensively as the grass-free playing surface of ball diamonds, clay tennis courts, and other athletic surfaces. I have used it to make sure it's suitable in the mixes I often talk about, but I don't use it regularly. I use Turface instead. I take the same precautions with either product, as well as with peat, pine bark, and perlite when I'm screening - a paper dust mask, and I screen on breezy days with my back to the wind so the dust blows away from me.

If I was concerned about the dust from a stored source of a medium containing any of these products, I'd probably just dampen it before I handled it.

Al

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 8:16PM
More Discussions
String of Pearls
Here is a photo of what used to be a very healthy 'String...
bobv2
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Spot for Calathea ornata and Ctenanthe oppenheimiana tricolor
Will they like the same spot as my Marantha leuconeura? Beside...
MsGreenFinger GW
Christmas cactus help needed please!!
I inherited this plant from my uncle, he had it forever....
Stef Cunningham
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™