What plants do you use for green composting?

Norway_ralph(6)October 19, 2013

I have been green composting in the late winter/early spring for the last couple of years. I generally use broad beans (fava bans) , due to their frost tolerance and germination in soil down to 2 degrees C (35F), which allows me to turn them in before spring vegetables are ready to plant out.
I am thinking of trying a couple of other varieties for green composting (radishes, based on their fast growth rate and mustard greens for the high rate of leaf production ) and am interested to hear what other people recommend as green composting plants.
Ralph

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I think, if you are in zone 6, probably it is too ate to grow any cover crop that can be tilled in as green manure.
Other than beans, most gardeners plant rye, annual grass, clover, fenugreek. But for spring growing it is another thing.

Another point is that you would want to grow things that their roots are nitrogen fixer or their foliage is rich in nitrogen. I don't think, for example, radish is one of those.

Bookmark   October 19, 2013 at 6:35AM
planatus(6)

I use a lot of cover crops, and in late summer and fall I love mustard greens best. You can take a couple of cuttings for the freezer, then chop in whatever is left before the first hard freeze.

It's late to plant seeds, but I have a couple of flats of crimson clover plugs, started from seed in early Sept, that I'll use as bed-sitters through the winter. They will have to be covered with wire cages or the deer will eat them.

I have some oats holding seed now, and I'll let that stand and winterkill. In winter, I throw chunks of it to the chickens. My austrian winter peas are four inches tall -- as tall as they will get until spring. Favas are not winter hardy for me, so I use austrian winter peas instead. The tendrils are good eating, but I pull the plants and compost them just as they start blooming in late spring.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 9:04AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

A few years ago harry vetch was all the rage. I don't recall reading about it recently.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 2:46PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Ralph I can't say if it is too late in your part of zone 6 or not but it isn't here in my part. We just planted a mix of turnips and radish in several beds middle of the past week. Normally they will do well into mid to late January and we till them in then weather permitting.

Two of the other garden beds get planted with various deer fodder crops - winter peas, clover, chicory.etc. and all work well for green manures.

Dave

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™