Callisia fragans-will I ever get any pups?????

plantmasterm(z7)August 21, 2012

Hi everyone, I've got a variegated callisia that I received from a very nice plant person from this forum..thank you Randy e..ive had my plant outside since spring and still haven't gotten a pup, any ideas..ive watered, fertilized and watered still no pups..I would post a pic, but unfortunately Im still having a problem w/that..I've got a solid green that I've babied for a year to get roots and size and finally got both, as a matter of fact the solid green is out growing the variegated one and is producing pups..any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Like humans, plants need to pass through the various stages of development until they reach sexual maturity and are able to reproduce. Unlike humans, plants don't age chronologically. Their aging process is ontogenetic and more closely related to the number of times their cells divide than the passing of time.

Because the all green variation is genetically more vigorous, and with all else being equal, it should be expected to reach maturity before the variegated variant. There is really nothing you can do, other than provide the cultural conditions the plant prefers so it moves through the growth phases as fast as genetic limitations allow, cultural limitations not withstanding. Is there anything to make you think you could improve on the cultural conditions?

Al

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 3:15PM
plantmasterm(z7)

Thank you for responding Al, currently no, it's hot and humid here so all of my plants have thrived with the exception of this one

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 9:38AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

OK - patience it is, then.

Best luck.

Al

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 4:56PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Has your plant started sending out scouts for new locations to invade?

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 4:14PM
More Discussions
help me identify this plant
It's indoor, never flowers, has kind of waxy, viney...
princessasamuela
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
Pothos Problems
My poor pothos is struggling. I've attached a few pictures,...
mwhcrew32
Planting Zones
I need to know the Zone for Toronto, Ontario, Canada....
bobv2
Do I have natural original Chlorophytum comosum?
I have bought Chlorophytum comosum but I don't know...
dert17
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™