Hard Frost/freeze

steve333_gw(5a)October 5, 2012

So far we have avoided frosts and most of the veggies in the garden have been chugging along. Last night and tonight we had our first touch of a real frost, and as expected the squash and beans didn't make it through, but the cabbage family and onions seems to be OK.

My concern is that the next two nights lows are predicted to get down to 20F or so. Will lows of that level harm the onions and cabbages? should I be harvesting them tomorrow before the freeze?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hnycrk(8a)

I think the cabbage should be ok because it's a cool weather crop and can take a frost. The onions I have no idea never grown them. Good luck!

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 6:54AM
ltilton

Onions are very frost hardy.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 8:59AM
steve333_gw(5a)

Thanks. I am not really that concerned about whether the onions and cabbage live through this cold snap. Let's face it, the warm fall we've had so far has been amazing but not likely to continue forever.

Rather I am more concerned about whether being out in 18-20F temps for a night or two will harm the storage/eating qualities of these plants. Hate to have to process all the onions because they froze instead of letting them sit in cold storage for the winter.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:18AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

18-20 would be too hard a frost for me to risk them. I'd harvest them rather than risk the storage ability. JMO

Dave

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 11:02AM
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM

My opinion would be that young onions are very frost tolerant but that onions you want for storage should be pulled. I had a touch of frost that nipped some of the cukes earlier in this week and it is supposed to get colder here this weekend so the onions I want to keep will be pulled.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 11:34AM
wolverine1012

20 degrees is too low for cabbage family

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
Walnut mulch for raised vegetable garden pathways
Just had a walnut stump ground down. Is it safe to...
burtman23
Boo hoo! Purple sprouting broccoli didn't survive the winter!
I was looking forward to early broccoli this year....
ffreidl z5a
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
Planting two seeds. Should I keep both?
I've always heard you should plant 2-3 seeds per container...
asunk00
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™