Carnival Glass

marquest(z5 PA)March 8, 2012

Anyone made any totems with this glass? I found one piece this week and was thinking how beautiful it would look as a totem bird bath.

I went on Ebay and there are some pieces that are not too expensive since I want it for the front of the house garden, Making one would still be cheaper than what I see Birdbath cost at the stores since they are running between $20 - $50.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
toomuchglass(5)

Carnival Glass in a totem ? I hope you have honest people by you -- something made with collectable glass could be tempting to steal ! I could honestly say I've never seen that kind of glass in a totem..... it would probably look awesome in the sun.

Milk Glass looks very pretty in a totem and it's reasonably priced in thrift stores. It wouldn't be so heartbreaking if it got broken or stolen. Be sure & let us know what you decide :)

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 4:40PM
marquest(z5 PA)

TM I think I live in Honest USA. The garden centers in my area leave their plants out without protection and no one bothers to take them.

One Sunday I stopped at a local Nursery by my home and had 4 plants in my hand went to the door and realized they were closed. lol

So they would be safe now broken might be the problem. There is some that is not of a big interest to the collectors that was made late in the 80s I think. I found the piece I picked up at the thrift store on ebay 7.99 and I paid 99 at the thrift store.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 5:40PM
Marlene Kindred

I used a scalloped carnival glass bowl for a birdbath totem and I really like it. It does reflect the sun very well. I don't think I have a picture of it or I would post it for you to see. The birds enjoy it though. I actually can find carnival glass as cheap around here as any other type, so I use it.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 6:14PM
gardenway(z6 KY)

marquest, I hope you mean "fake" carnival glass - reproductions.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 8:00PM
marquest(z5 PA)

gardenway, what I have read is the collectors only want the pieces from 20s and 30s. So what I would be using is probably junk and not up there with collector status.

Bookmark   March 8, 2012 at 10:03PM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

I have some very nice pcs in my totems, cuz they shine so nice out there in the yard and hey, if they're just gonna sit around and collect dust....might as well let mother nature give em a rinse once in a while! ;-)

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 9:15PM
laurastheme(8)

Do they hold up well outside?

Bookmark   March 9, 2012 at 11:49PM
mjowest(5)

Life is short enough- glass is only a thing- USe it!
and enjoy it!

Bookmark   March 10, 2012 at 9:06AM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

I agree. How is having it sitting on a shelf gathering dust where better?
Kathy

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 2:13PM
nuthatch_mo(Z-6 MO)

Carnival Glass turns a funny color if left in the sun too long, might do better in a shade garden.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 9:57AM
More Discussions
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™