What can I do with these?

raforMarch 27, 2011

I have several large (about 12" tall) plastic things, with a lid, in the shape of a beehive. Pretzels came in them. I just know someone here can come up with a stupendous plan for them. I thought I could attach them to the side of the garage and maybe birds would nest in them. I don't know if they would since they are clear plastic. The lid is yellow and I could make a smaller opening for an entrance rather than the 3 inch wide opening in the jar itself. Maybe I could just use it as a bird feeder, but the squirrels would probably get it in. Any other creative ideas out there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
angie83(9)

That looks like a bee hive bird house to me Hehehehe
Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: Dont throw that away 1#

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 12:49PM
jeannespines

Yup, definitely a beehive ... I think I would take some old rope ...like clothesline or a heavier rope & Silicone II for Doors & Windows to glue it on ... & drill a 1" hole in the plastic lid...would be a great birdhse!

I've used rope on pots & bowling ball before...but with this beehive shape you have, I think it would look cool. Jeanne S.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 2:10PM
ntxdirtdigger

ok, where do you buy the pretzels, so i can get some of those jars.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 3:05PM
rafor

I like the idea of the rope. I might lose some of the ridges if I wind rope around it. Will birds nest in it if I leave it clear?

digger: I got the snacks at BJ's, a warehouse club around New England. They are actually those honey wheat twists, not pretzels.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 3:37PM
rafor

Another idea would be to mount it horizontally, drill a few small holes in the bottom of the side for drainage, and turn it into a terrarium/planter.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 3:42PM
chelcass(Z5 Michigan, U.P.)

If you want to use them for birdhouses but not leave them clear, paint them, plain or with design, flowers etc. Orrrrrrrrrrrr decoupage them, or mosaic. Hmmmmmmm wonder if Costco sells the honey wheat twists?????? Also you could use one for a frog house.

Be sure to post pictures of your creations. Have fun!

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 4:34PM
garden2garden(z8 FL)

Gee those are nice jars.

I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't had it on it's side in the first pic, but that one looks like a big fat bottle bug.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 5:52PM
garden2garden(z8 FL)

Gee those are nice jars.

I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't had it on it's side in the first pic, but that one looks like a big fat bottle bug.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 6:01PM
quidam2

I would stack them 3 high, gluing them together. Microwave plate on bottom and glass plate on top. I would fill them with red lava rock, pine cones,shells, colored water, sand etc... And put a potted plant or whatever on top. Or spray paint them with paint for plastic but still put something for weight in the bottom one. Or decoupage on the inside---not sure how easy or how that would look.

They are such a fun item; my mind is spinning!!!

Hope to see pics of what you do with them.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
Meep Meep
It's been blistering hot here. The pictures posted...
tinfoilhat
Hi all
I couldn't edit the subject...sorry ... I was thinking...
msjay2u
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™