Sago Palms - poisonous to dogs
We had two large beautiful Sago Palms in out back yard. We kept out Champion Border Collie cowdog back there also. She was eight years old and we had kept her there since she was a puppy. She was also our great family pet and companion. She had puppies and we kept one of the puppies. We also kept the puppy in the yard.
Puppies chew on and eat anything. She discovered the little shoots that come up from the roots under the sago plants. She crawled up under the plants where we did not see her nor the shoots. She really feasted on the shoots. The mama dog in playing with the puppy also started chewing on the shoots. The puppy got sick and was vomiting and her stomach was swollen. We took her to the vet and discovered that her liver was destroyed. She lived another week and we had to put her to sleep because of the pain she was in. There was no treatment that would save her.
The mama dog lived another three months and we also had to put her to sleep. The vet said that they had eaten some kind of plant that was poisonous to dogs. We did research online and found that Sago Palms are one of the ten most poisonous plants to pets according to the SPCA. We went and looked at our Sagos and found up underneath the plants that the shoots had been eaten and chewed on by the dogs. The top part of the plant is poisonous but not as deadly as the shoots underneath. The mama dog had stayed in the yard for years and had never eaten on or played with the Sagos.
I know that this is not all about plants but if I could keep someone from loosing a much loved family pet I would be happy. Certain kinds of lillies are also very poisonous.