bottle tree and glass totem question

swag1981March 26, 2012

I have collected the bottles and the rebar to display my collection. We have an old stump that is a few inches about the ground that we are going to drill random holes in, then put different lengths of slightly curved rebar in the holes and top with the blue bottles. My question is how do I protect the bottles from the top of the rebar? Same question for if I make a glass totem and set it on top of a metal rod/pipe. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tasymo

I have seen a product that coats the handles of metal tools to give you a better grip. Seems to me that would work well.

Here is a link that might be useful: plasti Dip

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 6:47PM
toomuchglass(5)

That stuff works great. We use it on our tool handles. Once it's open , it seems to dry up really fast. Gather up alot of things to coat all at the same time.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 7:00PM
nanatricia

he re bar will not hurt your bottle. I have used thinner to thin down the plastic coating when it gets a little dry.

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 9:37PM
mosswitch

I dropped a bottle a little hard over a piece of rebar and had broken glass all over. I use a dab of adhesive putty now on the end of the rebar before I put a bottle on it. (The same stuff you use to stick pictures, etc to the wall or woodwork--you get it in just about any store in the stationery dept). It works fine, and lasts a long time since the bottle protects it and it never gets wet. Modeling clay or something like it would work too.

Sandy

Bookmark   March 26, 2012 at 10:48PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Hot glue gun.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 2:09PM
More Discussions
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Meep Meep
It's been blistering hot here. The pictures posted...
tinfoilhat
Re purposing A Window
Hi, I just got all new windows for my house, and don't...
gabby811 6 NJ
Dehydrator trays
Does anyone have ideas for recycling food dehydrator...
hokypuk
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™