Help with Cyclamen!

RedeemedMamaAugust 27, 2012

I received a cyclamen a couple of weeks ago as a gift. After doing a little research (because many of the flowers have fallen off and leaves are turning yellow), I discovered that the plant should have been in dormancy since spring or early summer. Plus, it's WAY too hot around here (even indoors) for it! It's about 95 degrees outside, and 70 inside.

It is on the kitchen table now with a skylight overhead, and was in a eastern facing window before that, in the sun room (a big no-no!)

What should I do with it??? Is it too late to prepare it for dormancy (1st frost is about 2 mos. away). Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi RD,

Sorry no one has answered, I suspect they don't have the experience to know what to suggest. While I've had these plants several times, I've not been successful keeping them. I also once gave some to my sister for Thanksgiving, after a time hers pooped out too.

I don't know what to tell you, my experience is over time the leaves yellow & drop or if not drop & look all yellow, I removed them.

I don't think one prepares the plant for dormancy, I think the plant tells us when it's going by turning yellow. I just have no knowledge or experience in how to hold them over. I'm curious what it says online about how to keep them, I've never searched for that info.

I have some friends here in NYC who have some winter hardy Cyclamen in their yard that comes back every year, but I think that's exceptional, rather than the norm.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 10:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dzitmoidonc(6)

If the plant has had leaves for 4 months or so, it made enough food for the bulb. To send it into dormancy, just withhold water. The leaves will yellow and die, and the bulb should be stored in the hottest driest place you have, but not the oven. A garage or shed is fine. don't let the critters eat it, a few do. Come November, you will probably see new leaves coming out the top. Plant the bulb in good organic rich soils and water it normally. Feed it well for best results, but not with too much nitrogen.

These come from a region extending from the Mediterranean to Central Asia. Lots of bulbs from this region. Garlics, Tulips and Fritillarias come to mind. Places that get no rain in the hottest times, and many plants like Cyclamen grow in the cooler, wetter times. If the plant gets water all year, it will keep a few sad leaves and not bloom. A hot dry rest will re-set the cycle.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
Advice for my almost dead aglaonema
Please help me nurse this plant back. It was given...
Kelby Miller
What Makes for a Good House Plant?
As a novice gardener in zone 5, I've become rapidly...
SnowStorm
"Heirloom" geraniums, coleus, impatiens etc.
perhaps this isn't exactly a houseplant question......
grimesel1993
March Flowers
I feel guilty posting this as teen usually does but...
MrBlubs
What to do with Alocasia tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™