Alocasia Amazonica

paul_(z5 MI)August 14, 2011

Much to my surprise, this bloomed for me. Not surprisingly, like most aroids, the flower was nothing spectacular, but it was the thought that counted.....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

My four year old plant also bloomed this year. I felt it was a sign I must have done something right (and not stressed and fighting for survival). I promptly cut it off as soon as it showed signs of fading. ;-)

tj

Bookmark   August 15, 2011 at 6:43AM
birdsnblooms

Paul, over the years, I've heard others say the same thing you did. 'the Alocasia flower isn't spectacular.'

On the contrary. Although most Alocasias are grown for foliage, the flowers add beauty.

Their flowers resemble Spaths and Aglaonemas. How many people wish their Spaths flower? Quite a few.

Is the plant on pic 3, the same as pic 1 and 2? The bottom of its leaves looks different, and gorgeous. Toni

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 2:58PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Great pics, and pretty flower. I've killed so many of these types of plants, the more expsensive they are, they faster they die on me. I finally have a place with enough light and there's nowhere to buy something like that. LOL! Well done!

I totally agree, Toni. I don't understand when people cut off their caladium flowers before they turn brown.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 4:58PM
dellis326 (Danny)

Toni, My guess is that that is sunlight shining through minibinds on those leaves.

Danny

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 8:18PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Danny would be correct -- all pics are of the same plant. The leaf difference in the 3rd pic is just the way the light is hitting it. The leaves look different yet from the front/top rather than from the underside.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 8:29PM
squidy(8a)

Congrats! Your plant looks very healthy and beautiful. The leaves look amazing in the sun.

Bookmark   August 22, 2011 at 9:37PM
alocasia_nanc(5 - chicago)

What potting media do you use?

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 8:28PM
paul_(z5 MI)

What potting media do you use?

A blend of potting soil and leftover orchid mix (which contains large grade charcoal, large grade perlite or hydroton, and large chunks bark or coconut husk). I don't actually measure things out but as a guesstimate, it is probably about a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of soil:mix.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 2:13PM
alocasia_nanc(5 - chicago)

A blend of potting soil and leftover orchid mix (which contains large grade charcoal, large grade perlite or hydroton, and large chunks bark or coconut husk). I don't actually measure things out but as a guesstimate, it is probably about a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio of soil:mix.

thanks for the response! just wondering because mine has not flowered (i think possibly because i have not had it during the "bloom season"). I have mine in a orchid bark mix, soil, perlite, and a touch of vermiculite mix. can't wait to see how it goes!

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 2:21PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Very nice, Paul!

Josh

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 3:50PM
dellis326 (Danny)

Nanc, While not exactly rare, it is uncommon for this plant to flower even when well cared for.

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
Pine Bark Fines Ontario Canada
Okay...5-1-1 mix! I am having trouble. First off the...
RioSeven
Can anyone ID this tree?
It's about 8' tall, a normal 'tree shape'. We got it...
laura242424
Fiddle Leaf Ficus brown edges, lighter color veins
I have the Fiddle Leaf Ficus for 2 years now. It was...
vlauz7b
Only 1/2 of a schefflera remaining...
4 years ago, I adopted this schefflera from a bank...
greenintrigue
Who am I?
I was at WM and this fellow was on clearance and jumped...
savannaicus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™