Dying hanging plants - Lipstick, Wandering Jew

HopperGoLightlyAugust 12, 2012

I'm quite frustrated and could use some advice. I recently bought three indoor hanging baskets. One is a Wandering Jew, another is a Lipstick plant and I'm not sure what the third is. They were all healthy when they came in and now I'm losing all three.

The lipstick plant is dropping all it's leaves at an alarming rate. Some are turning black or brown and then falling off, but the majority are seemingly healthy green leaves. I have a North facing window with not a lot of light. I have removed the dead leaves and straggling branches. The soil is moist, but not overly wet. The top of the soil is covered in a what looks like a white fungus. I have recently treated all my plants with Bug Be Gone due to an infestation of gnats. I do not think this plant has been infected, yet it is dying. Any thoughts, suggestions?

The Wandering Jew is managing somewhat better in the same window, but many of the leaves are turning crispy and dying. I'm trying to mist both plants daily.

I have 9 plants right now that are not doing well and I'm very upset. I feel like I'm losing my friends! Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I did a quick search for Bug Be Gone, and all I could find was a lawn insecticide (granules) and an aqueous solution of essential oils, which may very well be phytotoxic (unsafe for plants). Tell us more about the insecticide. From your other post, I'm getting the impression there may be problems on multiple fronts.

Al

Bookmark   August 12, 2012 at 6:03PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

We would like to hear about your potting mix, watering practices, and any other information you can give us. The more information we have, the better we are able to help you.

So, which product DID you use, Bug Be Gone (the repellent), or
Bug B Gon, the outdoor lawn and landscape pesticide? Neither is appropriate for fungus gnats.

Anyway, so sorry for the problems you're having.....let's see if we can get to the bottom of it.

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 6:55AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb.

Don't know anything about lipstick plant, but the Tradescantia (wandering Jew) might be easier to revive by taking cuttings rather than trying to worry about the roots. Do you have pictures of these plants?

Bookmark   August 13, 2012 at 9:33AM
More Discussions
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I posted this in the Aroid Forum but the...
fakechuchi
Moister Measurement
I recall having a very useful tool that I could stick...
bobv2
Advice for house plant --- very little sunshine, pics included
Would any of these plants work for a bedroom that gets...
bob131313
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Rubber tree plant questions
Hi all, I have a rubber tree plant that I'm trying...
dbforr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™